7,92x57 blank

A 7,92x57 blank , wood projectile sort of a purple -maroon color, black colored primer.
1940? who made it?

I may have answered my own ? … is asb the code for DWM?

From the IAA Home page, Reference section, headstamp codes:

asb = Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G. Eichborndamm 107-127, Berlin - Borsigwalde, Germany - WWII

So you are correct in answering your own question!

Platzpatrone 33 blank.

DWM Berlin clearly made the case. I suspect you would need the box to know for sure who loaded the round. In P08 ball ammunition it is not too unusual for the cartridge to be loaded by someone other than the case manufacturer, and I seem to remember from other posts that 7.92x57mm has been loaded by factories that never made cases.

Blanks are also often loaded from fired cases or substandard/reject cases and boxes with mixed headstamps are known-I believe this is true for German WWII vintage 7.9 blanks.

The experts like Dutch can give you a better answer.

Cheers,
Lew

Sportclay - Just in case you didn’t have this information, I thought I would finish the headstamp for you and any other readers here who aren’t normally into these rounds.

The “Star” on the headstamp indicates that the cartridge case is brass.

The “” is the manufacturers case-lot number, and the “40” is the year the case was made. This does not tell you when the cartridge was loaded - the headstamp information is only pertinent to case manufacture. For loading information, you need the box label.

As “BD” mentioned, this is a Platzpatrone 33, or in English, “Blank Cartridge Model 1933.”

thank you one and all for the info. Thank you for the info on the star in the hdstp. I wish I had the box that it came out of. It may well exist among the boxes and crates and drawers full of ‘stuff’ in this gun shop. I spend one day a week trying to make some sort of order out of the chaos of the 60 plus years of accumulation. ( they have been open since 1949) Much of which came out of gun shops and surplus stores in the 50’s & 60’s. The owner bought entire inventories of shops that had been in business for 50 years prior to that. There are wood artillery ammo crates full of old ammo stacked from floor to ceiling. Parts bins full of NOS winchester Lyman Marbles sights and parts…etc. It is fun. A recent discovery (about 3 months ago) was a Syracuse Lefever (ca. 1880’s) drilling in rough shape , missing the entire forend. But, a AA grade (with Nichols top lever and nichols grip safety) and the only known drilling made by this maker with the rifle bbl in the top rib. We put it on Gunbroker and it sold, much to everyones great surprise for $30,000. Some old loading tools, powder cans…

I am almost sure P131/asb loaded this round.
The head stamp is remarkable because they used a “” instead “S
I think it had something to with the change from P131 to asb.
It started with the case you showed here, followed by lot 9 and 10. The lot 3 of 1941 was normal again.
The last known case lot was asb S* 5 41. This factory stopped producing 7,9 Mauser cases but loaded blank 33 rounds with cases delivered by other plants until the end of the war.

Rgds
Dutch

The knowledge and information available from the members of this forum is phenomenal! Thank you all!