7.92x57 cardboard box

I recently picked up one of the 15 rd boxes for S.m.K. cartridges dated 1935. I am wondering what the overprint on it means, it reads Lig. unbek. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post an image? A lot of us are at SLICS, so an answer may take a few days.

“Unbek.” I believe is short for the German word for Unknown. They might be repacked and some of the original loading or source info was not known by the repackers.

“Leiferung Unbekant” = lot unknown.

Repacked from loose, mixed, unknown lots. A search of the forum should turn up some details of this process. A good box marking to add to the collection for sure…

AKMS

Thank you all for the assistance.
I don’t collect 8mm a lot - prefer 303 - but it came with a bunch of shooting ammo here in Ontario. One round of ammo and the box (which isn’t in the greatest condition) will definitely be kept for the collection though.

Excellent policy!

[quote=“37patt”]Thank you all for the assistance.
I don’t collect 8mm a lot - prefer 303 - but it came with a bunch of shooting ammo here in Ontario. One round of ammo and the box (which isn’t in the greatest condition) will definitely be kept for the collection though.[/quote]

Isn’t AP rifle ammo illegal in Canada ?

Some years ago a friend who was a fairly large dealer in Canada sent me a list of the AP and APT German ammo which he had buried because they were made illegal by a new Canadian law. Has this changed? He is dead so it is of little interest there but collectors there need to know if they can legally hold this type of ammo. Arrest is no fun in any country and “the mounties always get their man”.

In addition to the handstamped overprints, special labels were printed and come in a large variety of styles and probably exist for all loadings although I haven’t seen them for some of the loadings.

Whenever an amount of ammunition couldn’t be identified by the place of manufacture, loading data and/or the powder lot was unknown it would be repacked and identified with a label like this (or handstamped like yours. Can you post a picture?)

Here are a handful of the labels.