7,92x57 headstamp

Can anyone tell me why on this headstamp fer st* 7 43 a star is used and not a + A star is used in 1943 until lot 8 in 1944 then it changes to st+ thanks…paul

I think the regulation how to write the code was hanging by the management and not by the guy who made the bunter.
Anyway they coded the 7,9 round until the 7th lot of 1944 with a star instead a “+”

btw. The first known is “fer St* 1 43".

Rgds
Dutch

Hi!

From a WaA document found some years ago, the use of the symbol St* instead of St+ on some lots of lacquered steel cases made by eej and fer in 1943-44 corresponds to a transitional headstamp to indicate a new steel process, thanks to adjonction of a small quantity of titanium in the alloy, giving the so-called Thomas steel.

It was supposed to make easier the whole process, but it does not seem to have been adopted.

Phil.

[quote=“stuka222”]Hi!

From a WaA document found some years ago, the use of the symbol St* instead of St+ on some lots of lacquered steel cases made by eej and fer in 1943-44 corresponds to a transitional headstamp to indicate a new steel process, thanks to adjonction of a small quantity of titanium in the alloy, giving the so-called Thomas steel.

It was supposed to make easier the whole process, but it does not seem to have been adopted.

Phil.[/quote]

Phil, I am sorry, this is not correct,

You revering from the test 229 II (Reichswerke Herman Göring) and Test 230 IV (Röchling Werke) about the Rifle case S (St) * from Thomas steel with “Ti” addition.
The first test was on 23-11-1944 in Strausberg.

On this date the mistake from the St*/St+ was already solved

Rgds
Dutch

Well, so the “mistake” answer is to be considered…

Thanks, anyway…!

Phil