7.92x57 ID needed

Can anyone identify this apparent ball 8mm Mauser cartridge? According to the limited information I have cartridges similarly headstamped - “C / 37” - were found in “Japanese Stocks” according to a British manual.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank Allan

Hi Allan,

Hard to say without a picture, but probably a cartridge manufacture by Állami Hadianyaggyár in Csepel, Hungary, who made the 7.9x57 with a C 37 headstamp at 12 and 3.

Regards,

Fede

Dear Fede:

Thank you. I have forgotten how to attach a picture to the message in the IAA forum. I will attach it here.

Frank

Francis C. Allan Lynn Anne Allan 20 Courtney Place Palm Coast, FL 32137 386-445-4225

Thanks, that is.

Dear FCA…the reference to "Japanese Stock"could be in relation to the 1937-38 Japanese acquisition of German MG15 Aircraft Gins and Subsequent copy manufacture of them as the Type 98. As they didn’t yet make 7,9 ammo (made later) they would have acquired some 7,9 from Europe for Trials, and eventual use
( they did the same from Italy for 12,7x81SR Breda for initial use in Ho 1 ( BMG copy) cannon ( BPD 37 & 39).
Why Hungary?? Germany was fully engaged in Build up, and also SCW. So a “semi- covert” Headstamp ( from Csepel Factory of AH—Budapest) fit the bill.
(Germany ceased military aid to China in 1937, so to avoid embarrassing questions, its aid to
Japan ( under the AXIS agreement) remained initially Covert.
Wheels within wheels!!
Doc AV

If I got it right the problematic part for Germany was the supply to China and not to Japan.

And would aircraft gun ammo not have crimped primers then?

If there is no confirmed Japanese markings on the packing material my guess would be on ammo the Japanese have captured from the Chinese or another occupied country.

By the way, which British manual are you referring to?

Dear DocAV:

Thanks. Chinese capture is what I figure also. They sure captured a lot of Chinese weapons and other ordnance.

Here is the picture that was sent to my 30+ years ago.

Frank

Francis C. Allan Lynn Anne Allan 20 Courtney Place Palm Coast, FL 32137 386-445-4225

| DocAV4901
June 15 |

• | - |

Dear FCA…the reference to "Japanese Stock"could be in relation to the 1937-38 Japanese acquisition of German MG15 Aircraft Gins and Subsequent copy manufacture of them as the Type 98. As they didn’t yet make 7,9 ammo (made later) they would have acquired some 7,9 from Europe for Trials, and eventual use
( they did the same from Italy for 12,7x81SR Breda for initial use in Ho 1 ( BMG copy) cannon ( BPD 37 & 39).
Why Hungary?? Germany was fully engaged in Build up, and also SCW. So a “semi- covert” Headstamp ( from Csepel Factory of AH—Budapest) fit the bill.
(Germany ceased military aid to China in 1937, so to avoid embarrassing questions, its aid to
Japan ( under the AXIS agreement) remained initially Covert.
Wheels within wheels!!
Doc AV

The notes linked to the photo above do not reference the Brit manual. The note reads: “According to a WW-II British Manual that I (George Masters, now deceased) have, 7.92mm Ammunition with this hs. have been found in Japanese stocks.”

Sorry, that is all the information that I have.

Frank