7.92x57. J Mauser

Hi all, have here a sporting 7.92mmJ cartridge, any ideas as to the manufacturer? The cartridge weighs 422 grains
No head stamp

1 Like

It is difficult to work out who produced the 8x57J without hs. Egestorff and likely DWM produced these and probably many others.

However, the bullet is the Greiss Reifring (with significant Lead expansion). There is some extra information about Greiss/Reifring here.

2 Likes

This projectile has a very complicated and most likely expensive design but does it really produce a better “flight”?

I think that the Reifring bullet design was more about controlling the deformation of the bullet on impact rather than being concerned with “flight”.

2 Likes

Many years ago, I tried my hand at making jacketed bullets. I have also cast thousands of lead alloy bullets. The Reifring bullet must have been very expensive to manufacture, perhaps requiring hand placing of the copper or GM ring onto the stem of a lead core before the whole bullet was formed in some sort of swage.

2 Likes

Side note, the proj. looks like the cartridge was stored in a wooden cabinet (Oak or so?) what caused the lead to heavily oxidize.
Besides destroying the projectile over time the loose lead oxide dust may be extremely poisonous.
It may be advisable to remove these cartridges from that cabinet and also wax the projectiles so corrosion will be prevented and loose particles will be bound.
Just my opinion.

Compared to competition shooting, hunters shoot very few rifle rounds. This is as valid today as it was around 1900. So, hunters could and can afford expensive cartridges.

Edit: The above is the European point of view.

Peelen,

Your statement about the number of rounds expended by competition Shooters as opposed to hunters is just as valid in the US as in Europe. Of course, there are hunters who also shoot in competition.

I had customers, many of them, that were highly enthusiastic hunters, and that topic came up in conversations. One of my customers, a good shot by the way as I used to see him at the range prior to hunting season checking the zero on his rifles, admitted he fired less than 100 shots a year. I had a champion pistol shooter as a customer (and he was also living only a very short way from me and we both belonged to the same shooting club) and he probably shot 1000 rounds a week, except during hunting season because he was also an avid hunter.

John

This cartridge was purchased recently in a mixed box lot of mixed sporting cartridges, I have been told about the affects of certain timbers on lead bullets.
Should I coat the deteriorating bullet with candle wax?
I keep my collection in steel plan draws lined with corrugated cardboard
Cheers Tony

Corrugated cardboard " flutes" are just as bad as some timbers ( pine, etc) in corroding both exposed Lead and Brass ( cases).
Some cardboard is still made by the old ( ancient) Chloride Bleach Method, which leaves acid residue in the pulp. Seen in card or paper separators in Ammo packets ( mil. & comm.) from before 1980s.
Still seen in some Asian boards.

Lacquered cardboard or grooved timber coated with neutral epoxy varnish is best.
DocAV

1 Like

Hi John
100 rounds per year for a hunter i not bad, compared to here…
In the shop I had hunters, i have seen only every 2 years, as they bought a 20-round box of expensive RWS-ammo, and some of the older ones, even asked, if their where still some old 10-round packs around.
At least, thats now a little bit over, as they have now to proof for a hunting season, that they are still good shooters (means they have to go to the shooting range and fire some shoots on papertargets…otherwise before they where just using their “bullets” on game…So, as the numbers of deer and antlers where regulated here, they usually newer shot more than 10 rounds per annum…
The shooters of course, used much more rounds…but that was mostly surplus or cheap target ammo of any kind and maker…
Some of the RWS rounds -depending on caliber- cost more than 3-4€ per round- and was therefore saved like gold :slight_smile:
Its the wrong way, to save on ammo, but to explain that to the hunters here, is useless…as they tell me, that they have to pay for their huntingground (if they renting the area for a 5 to 10year time) and they have to pay hunting tax, and have to pay compensation for various problems which occurs to the farmes, if game is destroying their grop and corn a.s.o…and therefore using the expensive bullets only in case, they shoot on an animal…and loosing over time their skills…
But thats an other story.
Its not like in the US where you can buy a license…here you have to make a 1-year (usually) learning time in a hunters revier, than making the governmental examination. After that , you get the hunting license (about 100€/year)…but still, you cant hunt. You need either a own “Revier” where you can hunt, or you are invited by someone who has a Revier and let you hunt, specific animals only…
That all cost money…
That is, why i could really say in advance, when I will see a certain hunter again in the shop, when he bought his ration of ammo for the coming time…

PP

Tony,
I would clean it a bit (outside the house and with a mask on) in some mild manner to remove the loose dust.
Then thorroughly rubb it with wax and wipe off any excess wax.

Maybe someone else has a better advice?

This should be the original bullet box. Picture got from an old ECRA bulletin

3 Likes

The cleaned & a coat of wax result

2 Likes