7.92x57 Lithuanian "38 AD 1"

I have a 7.92x57 Mauser with headstamp 38 A D 1
Brass case, brass primer, red primer annulus, cupro-nickel pointed FMJ magnetic bullet. Czechslovakian S.m.E. Type???
If it is, what is the Czech. designation for this load.

Is your headstamp definitely Czech? I think it may be Lithuanian in which case the manufacturer would be Artillerie Dirbtuves.
Jim

Jim is correct. Your cartridge is Lithuanian, not Czech, made by or for Artileri
Dirbtuv

Thanks guys. You probabily noticed that I put a “?” on Czechoslavakia". That ID came from “Die Militarpatronen Kaliber 7.9mm”. I did not think it was correct.

Any one know the correct Lithuahian designation for the 3 loads that John mentioned?

Ron - sorry, but I only have box labels for the two ball round types. I have 8 or 9, including one for FN-made ammo, and they are all consistent. The designation is “Sov. S 7.92” or “Sov. sS 7.92.” I am sorry, I don’t know the word that “Sov.” abbreviates, as I have no Lithuanian-English Dictionary, and don’t know a word of the language. All of my boxes are headed this way, however.

So, I guess the AP load is probabily “Sov. S.m.K. 7.92”, would you agree?

Ron - I would not want to guess at what the wording would be for S.m.K. The German abbreviations “S” and “s.S.” for normal and heavy ball respectively, for some reason were picked up all over Europe and beyond. At least Belgium, Poland, Lithuania and Czechoslovakia used these letters. They were even used by Israel; a bit surprising they would use the German-language abbreviations all things considered. However, most of the non-German boxes for other types of loadings of the 7.92 Mauser round I have seen have used native-language words, or abbreviations, of the country producing the ammo, or the country for whom it was produced. Therefore, I would actually guess that the “S.m.K.” abbreviation would not have been used, although either way is pure conjecture in the absence of an actual box label or other documentation. Perhaps someone looking at this can answer this for us, from a box label. They must exist!

John, it is very simple: Sov. is a shortening for the Lituanian word Sovinyi, which means …cartridge ! The letter S has a kind of accent sign atop, that I cannot reproduce here with the letters available.

By the way, I also know boxes for S and sS bulleted cartridges (remember that I pictured some at your home during a trip to SF many years ago…) but I have never seen boxes for the S.m.K. with red primer annulus.

More, this cartridges also exist as wooden bulleted blanks, but only the red colored ones are genuine from Lituania, the other ones, with uncolored wooden bullet come from FN Herstal. The fact is that a good quantity of Lituanian cases, manufactured by FN for export, [i]with the Lituanian hstp /i was found there after WWII, and loaded as blanks on the spot, to be sold on the civilian market, mostly as movies blanks in the 50ies.

We do not know if they were remains of pre WWII undelivered contracts, I would rather say that they were brass captured by the Germans in Lituania, and sent at FN (then under German control) to be reworked, the same way they did with French 8 mm Mle 1886 D(a.m.) components,

As far as I know, this 7,92 blanks were never packed in cartons, after the war, but just delivered in bags!

Phil.

Here an “s.S” box: