7.92x57 uxa44 Czechoslovakia

I posted something similar before and I was told to read it upside-down as “bxn”. Now I have real problems reading it as “bxn”.

Simply because it is not “bxn”.

This is a different headstamp. It is just as it looks: “uxa” The code can also be found simply as “ux.” These were clandestine, post WWII headstamps. The “44” date on your cartridge is spurious. There were also large quantities of unheadstamped ammunition of the 7.9 x 57 caliber made as well, with the same cartridge characteristics as those rounds headstamped “ux” and “uxa.” They may have been made for many reasons, but some of the ammo, anyway, went to Israel. The Czechs were, immediately after WWII, very helpful in arming Israel with rifles, machine guns, and ammunition. This is Czech ammunition by the way.

Thanks, I see this headstamp on the last endpaper of D.Kent under number 61. How do I trace it to an actual page in the book?

Here is a picture of the “head stamp” John mentioned

Rgds,
Dutch

Since Kent’s book basically ends at 1945, and while it has a Polish and Czech Section, is basically about German rounds, it may not even be covered in the books. The art work on the inside front and back covers of all the headstamps, most very accurately drawn, shows many headstamps internationally that are not covered at all in the book. In my opinion, the definitive book on the 7.9 x 57m/m cartridge has yet to be written, and the subject is so vast, it may never be, at least in one volume.

John Moss

Here are a couple of examples of the sterile packaging for these Czech rounds. All the rounds shown are Vz. 47 which was the Czech post war equivalent to the German WWII S.m.E. loading. The round with the blue annulus and steel primer was bulk packed by the surplus dealer so I don’t know for sure how they were originally packed but I suspect it was in the same manner as the others.