7,92x86 6,5 and 20 mm

Hi,

at auction this year in IAA there were several photos of 7.92x86 cartridge, I am looking for the author of the photo or buyer. Maybe better quality photo? :) [Permission to use photos in publication.]

Does anyone have a case 6,5 mm in the collection, i think 80 or 86 length, so probably 6,5x80 / 6,5x86 [I do not have certain information about the cartridge, the probable length]. (high speed/antitank/PL experimental)

I am looking for a contact to Mr. Jost Burkhard Anderhub (for info about 20 mm ammo in his book about 20x138B).

Regards!
PM

PM,

If you do not get a response to your request concerning the Polish 7.92x86mm cartridge, there are forum members who may be able to help based upon an earlier discussion here on the forum, see:

Brian

I seen this topic, but thanks. I have a this type ammo in collection and photos from other collections, one case with “XX” signature. : ), and two types grooves.
I think about this piece from photos with SC bullet, if it’s an original find, it’s a interesting, and maybe good for “new photo for publication”.

Readers my wonder why the sS bullets are loaded base first into the cases.
I understand these are experimental cartridges with lead core bullets. Most probably, the Poles encountered the same phenomenon as observed by Rheinmetall.
A given armour plate could not be penetrated by the lead core S bullet. But the same bullet type with about one third of the ogive cut off, giving it a large flat meplat, could penetrate the same plate without problem.

I suspect the bullet was pulled, any powder was dumped and the bullet placed backwards in the case for easy of removal for inspection in regards to shipping/carrying ammunition to another country.

Brian

Maybe you have a information or where to look a info about work with “Halger” phenomenon in German army? 7,9x76 HV or other [?]

First, in 1932 in PL tested a 7,92x92 cart. with “S” lead core and “S” with steel core.
Typical “S” [lead core] pierces a 15 mm steel plate (hole ~15mm).

I am completing data from various sources.
Unfortunately, attachments with test high speed ammo from FA reports have not survived. Other reports, have German stamps with “Danzig Archiv”, maybe they are somewhere in a German or Russian archive.

PM

Sorry, I cannot contribute anything about Halger experiments. My example was from:

Waninger, Carl: Ueber die Durchschlagsleistung von Infanteriegeschossen
Zeischrift für das gesamte Schieß- und Sprengstoffwesen, 1933, November, S. 337-340

This is a report about some penetration results Rheinmetall achieved using standard lead-core and steel-core bullets against armour steel of four different tensile strengths. In his introduction he mentions that an ordinary S bullet (target velocity 848 m/s) will not penetrate a 9 mm plate. After cutting off the point, reducing bullet length from 28 to 15.7 mm, the same plate will be penetrated, although the target velocity is smaller (796 m/s). Bullet masses: 10 g versus 7.8 g.

Waninger gives no details at all about the other cartridges used in the trials, which must have been larger than the German 7.9 mm case. The lowest energy level tested is that of the ordinary SmK round.

“Wynalazek Gerlicha” Przegląd Piechoty nr 2/1934

https://issuu.com/polishammohistory/docs/ppwynalazekgerlicha