7.9mm box translation

I have a German 100 round sS box that was part of the 1937/38 Portuguese contract that has “BENEFICIADOS 1 9 5 6” (as near as I can make out) rubber stamped on the upper part of the lid above the label. The on-line translators don’t come up with anything that makes sense to me in this application.

Can anyone who is more proficient in Portuguese (or Spanish) help me out with this?

The cartridges have the RWS 37 headstamp.

If it’s Spanish or if the word exists in Portuguese and has a meaning similar to Spanish then “beneficiados” might mean “those which have been treated or processed.” No suggestion on what they treatment might have been, and remember: this is a guess. Jack

DIE PATRONEN 7,9MM DER DEUTSCHEN WEHMACHT 1930-1945 pictures a box and label with a similar stamp but I can find no mention of what the stamp was for (my German is very poor so I may have missed it).

Phil - The label on your box is is in the Portuguese language, and the word “beneficiados” in Portuguese, by my dictionary of that language (which is certainly not complete) means exactly the same as the English form - beneficiaries. In context of the ammo box, I have no idea what it means, unfortunately.

Phil,

Perhaps meaning “received (as donation)”. If these items were surplussed by the original users and transferred to another organization for training, etc., perhaps they were marked to indicate they were a donation rather than purchased material for accounting purposes?

Wild guess, but “Benefit” would seem to be the source of the term.

Dave

The word “BENEFICIADOS” means “que recebeu benefícios” and translated to english as “which received benefits”. However, if ammunition was not remanufactured guess It should be interpreted as “recebidos em benefício” wich means “received in benefit”.

If some of its components were changed it could be interpreted as “which received benefits” (i. e. “become usable”).

I too have been seeking a relevant translation to this marking for some time and again recently. I spoke with a Brasilian man last week who could not throw any more light on the marking in an ammunition context but I have been able to find reference to it’s meaning in regards to “processing” or “altering”. Look up “beneficiados” in the context of coffee.
I have two boxes of the DWM SmK as already pictured above and they do not appear to have been altered in any way. There are two consecutive ammunition lots in the one box. Not unusual.
Perhaps it just means it has been issued, say at a range, so it doesn’t appear unauthorised or stolen??
Tom

The Word “Beneficiado” means “made Good”, or “Has received the benefit of a review”…ie, Inspected and found to be sound.

Given that the German-made Ammo was made in 1937, finding the 1956 date and the “Beneficiado”, it is very probable to think that the ammo was about 20 years old, and as such was “inspected, tested and found to be serviceable” …(under most Armies’ rules for ordnance, or “Rule of Fives”, ammo is graded every five years of age, and by 15, is usually condemned to Surplus or Destruction…since this was “special” ammo, some leeway must have been given, following Inspection.

In Italian, the term is rarely used (Beneficiato) but means the same as in Spanish/Portuguese…Receiving a benefit, “Making Good” or approved.

It could simply mean “Repacked” ( ie, the external crate, after Inspection).

Since nearly all the records of AE and FNM have been destroyed when FNM closed (or “Was Closed”), the real connection between the word and the process which caused it to be applied is probably lost as well.

Another Histyorical Mystery which Cartridge collection brings us.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics

The history and description of the purpose of portuguese factory designated “Fábrica Militar de Braço de Prata” contains the following use of the term “BENEFICIADOS” related to ammunition:

“…ao fabrico e beneficiação de munições de artilharia…”

This phrase could be interpreted as “ao fabrico e melhoramento de munições de artilharia…” wich means “to the manufacture and improvement of artillery ammunition”.

Dear Fede,

The Interpretation of the Portuguese phrase as “Improvement” (of Artillery shells) can also signify “Repair, Upgrade, Modification”.

Artillery ammo is too valuable to simply “Destroy” when it is life expired, so most nations send it back to the maker for " Remanufacture" , in which-ever form it takes ( simple checking, replacement of priming/Fuze/detonators; Replacement of HE charge, or replacement of propellant charge. In some cases, the ammo is “Improved” by use of more modern (updated) components, etc.
( say fitting entirely new fuze mechanisms, etc.

This is opne of the situations where a Dictionary which translates specifically Ordnance Terms and Usages has to be of great use. (unless the translator is well versed in the Ordnance practices of the two Countries and Languages in discussion.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Doc AV, you are right, even if we know what the word means it can be interpreted in many different ways.

In same text I have found the phrase “destina-se especialmente ao fabrico e reparação de armamento” (reparation) and “ao serviço de munições” (service).

Translation for “Upgrade” is Atualização, “Update” is Renovação, “Modification” is Modificação and “Service” is Serviço.

Fabricaciones Militares of Argentina is currently using term Repotenciación wich means “Repowering” but should be interpreted as “Remanufacture”. It is applied to 25 mm, 30 mm and artillery rounds.

Gentlemen – Thank you all for your input