7.9mm PmK

Can anybody offer any information on the rather unusual markings on this PmK round please? I appreciate that with a headstamp date of 1934 this is very early production for a PmK which I understand was adopted in the same year. However, I have never seen another PmK with a red stripe of this dark red colour. Even more confusing is that the same red lacquer is applied to the base of the bullet. Normally the bullet base is sealed with solder.

bullet base

1 Like

This is the regualr early marking for PmK loads. It was changed later to what is commonly known.
I think the experts will have the date on hand.

I’ve never noticed the red paint on the proj. base but have not seen so many disassembled ones to have an overview.

The red lacquerstripe on the head is nothing unusual. Because of problems in machine-guns, it was changed in a red annulus (1938) and later on in a black annulus. More dark, less dark…It is definitely red. According my documentation, the bullet base is sealed with lacquer. PMK

1 Like

I appreciate that the stripe is the marking for early Pmk’s however all the others I have seen have an orange painted stripe as per this photo…

I am wondering what the ‘Al - Lack’ on dugjan’s drawing might mean…could it be ‘aluminium lacquer’? Certainly all of the many PmK bullets I have pulled have had their bullet bases sealed with a silver-coloured material.

This is a very early one.

The first known box label is from 1936.

It could be they used older cases from 1934 to load these PmK rounds

The P S* 69 34 I have has also some other kind of colour on the base.

The P S* 16 39 is also known in a reworked version.

The red stripe was removed and the case was repainted with a black annulus colour.

PmK

Here are all known versions.

RGDS

@Jim

Great pictures.

2 Likes

Thank you Dutch…what is the meaning of Al-Lack on the Polte bullet drawing?

To my understanding the “Al-Lack” is aluminum paint. I have seen such aluminum color on SmK. But I understand this was dropped later as the purpose is somewhat unclear to me and was a waste of resources.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense Alex. I thought the bases were sealed with solder but I suspect you are correct and it was aluminium lacquer. But that is why I was surprised to see red lacquer on this particular bullet.

The specification as of September 1939 prescribed thinned “Aluminiumdichtungslack” called “Rakraloid Tauchlack C 171” and made by Rassbach & Kralle, Magdeburg.

tauchen = dipping

Dutch, here is a 1935 box label I thought you might find interesting.

Wow, that s the first box label I see from 1935.

Many thanks for showing.

Rgds

Dutch, here is an earlier label from 1935. Funny thing is that, according to my notes, this picture belongs to you!

Regards,

Fede

Sorry, I recocnice it.
I have too many boxes.

Rgds

2 Likes

Dutch, if you have too many boxes let me know, I have too few boxes myself…