7.9mm SmK Gl'spur

My understanding is that this cartridge was made in 1943 but for whom was it made?

These days’s brass was very scare. These cases were left over’s from an export order.
In 1943 these cases were also used to make Gl’spur rounds for the German air force.
On the box label is printed (Exp)

Rgds

1 Like

Willem, great label! Thank you for sharing!

Excellent round to find and a wonderful label. -Ger

If I see it right the round itself maybe hard to ID once out of the box.

Willem, or was this particular lot not delivered to the Wehrmacht in “regular”?

Indeed a great label.
But apart from that it shows how the classification fetish, which is very much en vogue today, paralyzes itself.
The case headstamp clearly says manufactured by DWM Lübeck.
To keep things really, really secret, the label of course does not show the obvious, but uses the secret code edq of the case manufacturer. This way, the professional keepers of the secrets really told the world that edq is the code for DWM Lübeck.
This reminds me of STANAG 1059, which is basically a reprint of the public ISO digraphs and trigraphs for county codes, like AUT for Austria. This STANAG is marked UNCLASSIFIED, which NATO really considers as CLASSIFIED (I am not joking!). We may laugh about my dumb ancestors seven decades ago, but NATO security seems determined not to be outdone in this respect.

Alex, I have seen these cases with a tracer bullet in export packs each with 100 rounds.

It was very surprising finding these cases with a Gl’spur in a regular in a box made for the Luftwaffe. They also used a “rate” (sub lot). Means to me these cases used in the cartridge lot 5 from 1943 were limited. Unfortunately I don’t have an other to compare

Jochen, there are some examples that they were not so familiar with keeping secrets.

A nice example is, also from P413/edq the secret code for Spain P.413 L. AI.38
Also they used the “left over’s” from the contract for Sweden with Z (dou)
If there is interest I can show some labels

Rgds

DSC_0002%20(2)

Yes Willem, I am very much interested in some similar labels.

Nothing tops the case of Walther PP Pistols made late in the war for the military. The left side of the slide is blank; the right side marked with the “secret code” for Walther, “ac.” The grips are normally crudely checkered wood, but include the full, commercial “Walther” banner trademark! So much for secret codes.

John Moss

Wonderful response, thank you all.