7.9mm SmKH vs SmK

While the forum was down a friend and I decided to run a test comparing the German 7.9mm S.m.K.H against the normal 7.9mm S.m.K. and S.m.K-V armor piercing rounds. The plate used is of hardened steel between ¾ and 1 inch thick. You can get some idea of the hardness of the steel from the black splotches on the back of the plate. These are the lead splashes from normal 7.9mm and .30-06 GMCS ball rounds.

The first surprise was the very noticeable greater recoil from the S.m.K.H rounds. All rounds were fired from a K98k rifle.

I thought someone else might like to see these pictures.

Phil,

On what distance you shoot on the plates?

451kr.

not very far, maybe 75 yards or so.

Phil

Do I know this friend !!! LOL
I saw the pict’s and it’s nice yo see the differents between the diff bullet’s

regards
gyrojet

Thanks for the pictures.

Well done! The SMKH exit holes look a bit ragged compared to similar tests I did once with .30-06 M-2 AP. Dan Kent once theorized that the super-hard and brittle SMKH cores shattered upon impact but retained cohesion long enough to penetrate armor plate. Do you think this could explain why the exit holes are not more uniformly round? Could it be the nature of the armor plate instead?

AKMS

THAT IS SOME EXPENSIVE PLINKING !

+1

I wish I had a round of S.m.K. H. I don’t even have a round of S.m.K. V.

-Allen

A whole barrel full of the 7.92 mm SMKH projectiles was found here in Germany some time ago and quite a huge amount was sold to the US. If I remember the price was like 1 US $ per projectile (or less).

As I recall, the armour penetration of the tungsten-cored Hartkern round was stated to be up to 15-18mm at short range, compared with 10-12mm for the standard AP. I think it was primarily issued early in WW2 to give the Pz.1 light tanks a bit more punch against light armour.

Hey Phil,

Pretty cool test. Wish I coulda been there! Probably would have been even more fun in low light as the sparks would fly when those hit the plate.

Did the Smk-v kick as much as the SmkH? I would think they would have similar recoil as they use the same powder.

Dave

Take a look at what an excellent-condition full box of 15 SmKH rds will cost you today:

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=149578353

Or maybe maybe not cost you, depending on whether anybody thinks it is worth that much.