7,9x57 "DM 6 18 S67"

Why is the projectile so short? Is it a re-load? The longer projectile on the left is a WWI round for comparison. It is raining outside, sorry for poor quality photo.

scan0140

both versions, to my eye, look to have the bullet seated deeper than normal for a 7,9x57, OAL on your “standard” should be the same, or very close to the same as a WWII military made round, plus the ojive doesn’t look to be correct for a military load.
You don’t say anything about the bullet, what is the jacket material?

The ogive would likely be correct if the bullet were pulled out to its correct overall length. Jack

You may well be right, it just didn’t look “pointy” enough to me.

If Vlad has an inertia bullet puller and can urge those bullets forward until the OA length is 80 mm I think they will look like 7.9 mm S rounds. I have to grant they do look stubby here, but I think that the fact the camera was very close introduces some optical problems. Jack

I’ll do this tomorrow with daylight. I got stuck in a huge accident and came home at dusk.

OK. I arranged 3 rounds, 1st WWII and 2nd and 3rd (the one in question) to the right of WWII. I marked the original seating of the projectile of the 3rd round with black Sharpie (black line just above the cartridge mouth). Then I pulled the bullet and arranged it next to its cartridge.

DSCF6867

All 3 projectiles are strongly magnetic.

Vlad,
the WW2 rounds used a more slender bullet shape (95 mm ogive radius for practically al types) than the WW1 rounds (57 mm ogive radius for the S bullet). So the appearance of the bullets would not be identical.
But the length of the cartrige would be the same, 80.6 mm for both.
The pulled bullet you show could be an S bullet (length 28 mm, weight 10 g) and normally the groove you see is a crimp groove that is located flush with the case mouth.

The S bullet is seated very shallow in the case, probably less than 3/16 inch, as suggested by the crimping cannelure. I think it’s an S round with a displaced bullet. Also you may be able to make out a fraktur or latin letter in relief on the lead at the bottom of the bullet. Jack