7,9x57 "hhw St 5 41" in chargers

I got these 3 in a bag (no box). One of them shows extreme corrosion, similar to what “dutch” shows happening to his ammo in a different thread. The rest are OK, gun powder moves when shaken. Is it possible to trace back to the original box under the assumption that this gun powder type is really bad? All chargers are “P340.40”
scan0030

1 Like

Yes it looks like they coming with rust from the inside out.
It is one of the first lots with the right head stamp.
This factory had a few problems changing the material code to St.
Probably the instruction did not come true to the guy who made the bunter.
Lot one to four looks like this.

3 Likes

There’s no real doubt later production German flake rifle propellant in the years 1935-45 or so is apt to break down like this and produce corrosion. The corrosion is seen more quickly in steel cases than brass since brass is less reactive to the corroding elements in the deteriorating powder. Jack

2 Likes

I “pulled” the bullet on the round at the bottom of above shots. Results speak for themselves.

When I tried to empty the rest of this ammo using inertia puller (after warming up ammo a bit), the cartridges would not release the bullets. Short of collet puller, what is the best way to proceed?

Drilling holes appears to be the solution as all other will destroy the cartridges entirely.

1 Like

Randy’s syggestion worked very well.
Firstly, I banged lightly on the round lodged in the wood.

Secondly, I used the inertia puller, and, voila!!!

2 Likes

If you have access to a set of loading dies in the correct caliber it sometimes will work to adjust the seating punch just a tiny bit lower than the OA length of the complete round. This will seat the bullet just enough lower, generally speaking to to break free rust holding the bullet fast. Then the inertia puller can be applied. Jack

1 Like

Guys, it is depending how rusty the cartridge is inside.
Sometimes the bullet is much thicker than the case mouth.
No chance at all to get the bullet of the case.

A look inside.

Exam2

1 Like

Dutch, what did you do with that particular corroded cartridge? Did you throw it away or taped it together and kept it? I know that now this ammo is common but who knows what happens in years to come.

The most important for me is the head stamp.
Because the collection is in boxes, I put a peace of paper in the case that all head stamps are at the same height. If I find a better one, it will be replaced.

1 Like

To get the bullet out of the neck that separated from the casing, I take a pulled empty steel casing and insert the bullet with neck in it and then take a punch about the size of the bullet in diameter and tap the bullet into the empty casings neck. Then with the kinetic hammer, remove the upside-down bullet from the intact casing and now you have all 3 pieces separate. I have done this dozens of times.

1 Like

Here is my example, so I need a better example. Also the Ladestreifen is a bit better than the one I have.

Also, I have well over 1000+ 7.9 German military boxes, and NO hhw box. Probably as most where bad and they were tossed before importation.

1 Like

The fact that you have no “hhw” boxes probably explains why I have 3 identical Ladestreifen and NO box.

Probably I was lucky,
I removed the powder years ago, and put some oil inside the case.
This is the way the cartridge looks now.

Add also a picture from the belonging box label.

hhw 41-2 sS Für Gewehr

Rgds

2 Likes