7.9x57 ID

Digging thru a cigar box, this caught my eye.

Copper washed steel case and bullet, black tip.

HS reads clockwise, P Ig1 44 37

Bright green stripe on base.

My only source says : leichtes Spitzgescho

Should be an aluminium-cored tracer; “leichtes” (light) Spitzgeschoss (pointed bullet) “mit Leuchtspur” (with tracer).

Light pointed bullet, Tracer

Steve

Your round is a practice tracer. The bullet is almuminum core and weighs nominally 93 grains. Your cartridge weight should be in the vicinity of 306 grains ±. The green stripe identifies the load. It was a short range training cartridge. There was a ball equivalent with an 8.6 grain bullet and a cartridge weight of ± 298 grains.

Sometimes, with wear, the green strip gets rubbed off and leaves what appears to be a green primer seal, the ID for a heavy ball round, but you can feel the difference in weight between the two loads holding them in your hand.

Your cartridge case was made by Polte, Werk Magdeburg. Probably loaded by them also, although you cannot tell that without the box label.

Krupp A.-G., Essen, supplied the first-draw cups for the case, identified by the Roman Numeral I on the headstamp. The plating firm, identified by the letter “g” on the headstamp was done by Hirsch Kupfer- und Messingwerke, Finow. The arabic “1” indicates the carbon content of the steel, but I don’t have the list of the actual amounts represented by each number.

Of course, the case was the 44th lost of 1937.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all you guys.

I am going to assume that this is a rare cartridge.

John, it weighs 305.9 grains. I thought about weighing it before I posed the question but didn’t think it would be important.

Ray

Ray

I don

Look like this

Steve

Phil

Yes I’m interested and I appreciate it. I’ll copy it and put it in my catalog file. That cartridge is going from a cigar box into a drawer.

Steve

Yep, that’s it. Can I assume you don’t want to trade me out of mine. ;) ;)

Ray

Ray,

I could use that one also…you sly dog! Your making me blush!!! LOL

Steve

Ray - Sorry to tell you this, but the l.S. loads are relatively common. I probably have 30 or 35 of them in my duplicates, including some in brass cases, that are somewhat scarcer than those in steel cases, I think. In my collection they were. Still, who cares. They are interesting rounds - lots of collector appeal, in my opinion.

John

Yeah, my comment about it being rare was tongue-in-cheek. I know for a fact that if I have a cartridge, it is common, but if someone wants to sell me one, his is rare. ;)

Ray

A few uncommon LS cartridge boxes.

451kr.

451kr

Very nice boxes. The 1945 hlb 1 box is the only 1945 dated l.S L

Phil,

Herewith the headstamp.

451kr.

451kr

Thanks a lot for the photo. I will add that information to my book.