7,9x57mm "P 25" charger

Why was Polte Fabrik chosen as a sole manufacturer of post WWI German ammo? Was that the size or location or some administrative reason or something else? I have problems even locating Polte on the map of Germany, it keeps sending me to Magdeburg.

Polte Armaturen und Metalwaren Fabrik of Magdeburg, was originally a Electric Armature Maker supplying the Electrical Industry. It worked with Copper and Steel Products, and in the late 1800s, set up a Cartridge case and eventually Ammunition making Facility.
Their Original Headstamp Indicator forbath German and Export use was “P” for Polte.
The Allied Control Commission assigned Polte in 1920 as the only Authorised Ammo maker for the Weimar Reichswehr, because all the Gov’t Ammo plants, and DWM had been dismantled or disabled by corporate re-organisation.
Similarly Simson of Suhl had been allocated the Task of Supplying Firearms to the Reichswehr.
Of course, the Germans had already planned to bypass Allied controls, and developed the “P- number” and “S-number” codes as
Indicators of other factories.
The ignorant Allied Commission inspectors assumed these numbered variations were part of
Polte or Simpson, as the case may be, and did nothing.
In the case of “P number” it became Patronen Fabrik ( cartridge Factory Nr. XY
– the P list lasted till the late 30s, when it was expanded to the Three Lower case Letter codes for All suppliers of Goods for the Wehrmacht Heer/ Luftwaffe/Kreigsmarine.
So your clip is Factory P25, whatever that is?
Doc AV

2 Likes

P25 is the factory designator for Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbritzen G.m.b.H., Werk Sebaldushof, Germany. It was eventually replaced by the three-letter code “hla.”

John Moss

2 Likes

In addition to chargers marked P25 there were also ones marked P28, P131 and P315, none of which have any indication of the date of manufacture. Presumably b’twixt the “P” codes and the later dated examples there were what I call the Weimar chargers marked with a Triangle and a probable two digit date, the numbers run from “29” to “34”.

Pete

1 Like

Very soon after the decision that Polte was the only factory allowed making ammunition the Germans developed a code system to bypass the regulations of the allied control commission.
Behind the “P” a character was added from the second character of the ammunition factory who made the ammunition.
Pu; Burgsmüller, Kreiensen
Pi; Hirtenberger Patronenfabril
Pö; Böhme, Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbritzen
Ps Schweden (Bofors)
PiPu
Ps

In 1926 the Germans were starting with another code system. All company who worked for the state became a number.
In this case P25. The factory “Pö” was sold and became the code P25 Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbritzen in 1926
It was not only the ammunition factories also the powder plants. Reinsdorf (Rdf) was the only plant allowed to make powder. The Germans placed a number by the code “Rdf” This was a code from another plant. In this case Rdf 128 who was the Pulverfabrik Walsrode.

P128Walsrode

Rgds

3 Likes

Typo: Pu company is Burgsmüller.

The numbers also used letters as the last character, like 14A. According to the list published by Johannes Preuss, I think when 999 was reached, the next block used was 1A-99A, followed by 1B-99B and so on. The highest code in the list is 68E. If my math is correct, 1463 number codes were assigned before the switch to the letter codes.

1 Like

Typo fixed.

Thanks

1 Like