7.9x60 Swedish Box

This is a request from Jean Renard, Manager of the ECDV (ECRA Caliber Data Viewer) system.

He would like to know if anyone can tell him what was in this Swedish box. Photographs of the content would be appreciated.

Please help if you can.

Chris P.
7%2C9%20x%2060%20Danois%20Bo%C3%AEte

Edited to correct origin of box.

It is Swedish!
And i would guess it’s the midwar German 8x60 round

A hint of information-

Yes, I appreciate that the box is Swedish - I just translated the request without looking closer …duhh?

Photographs of the contents would be appreciated.

My box contains this cartridge:

NORMA%208x60%20patr NORMA%208x60%20hst

Exact dating is uncertain, but the label is printed in October 1948 (10 48 lower left on label).

morten

1 Like

Listed by Norma in catalogs/brochures from 1948-1956 - not in 1960.

8x60S was listed from 1954 - 1967.

After WW1, calibers (I use modern civilian designations to reduce confusion) 8 x 57 I and 8 x 57 IS – the latter being the military 7.9 mm – were considered “war material”. Ownership of rifles as well as ammunition was banned. The rimmed versions were not banned, by the way.
As a way to legalize existing weapons, cartridges 8 x 60 and 8 x 60 S were created around 1923. By reaming the chamber to the new length, an illegal “war” rifle could be turned into a legal sporter rifle.

Please note that the “S” identifier was introduced in Germany as late as 1939 to tell the 8.2 mm bullet cartridges (S) from the 8.1 mm bullet versions (no S).

This variation has the same label and almost the same contents (CNCS jackets) as Morton’s
In tiny print he bottom states " Nr 651 1000. 11, 47 ARVIKA NYTHETERS TR. "
So I would assume taking the lead from Morton this is dated Nov. 1947.
The box has been opened but is still full.
7%2C9x60%20norma%20box

The first 7.9 mm cartridges I ever saw were contained in a Norma box like this one as I remember, a ten round box my father bought about 1948-50. In those years finding ammo for 7.9 mm rifles on the shelves of American gun stores was close to impossible. Jack

Pete,
is it possible to measure bullet diameter in the box you show? It would be most interesting to know if they are 8.1 mm or 8.2 mm.

8.05mm / .316 inches

Jochem, Norma 8x60S were headstamped “NORMA Re / 8x60S /” and both 8x60 and 8x60S were listed by Norma 1954-1956.

Pete, Brad,
thank you very much.

Morten et al,

A “grand merci” from Jean for the pictures of the contents and the information.

Chris P.

This is my first post here and it is because of a search for this ammunition.

I inherited a 1936 Mauser sporter rifle from my father a couple of years ago and I have decided to put this excellent rifle back into limited use. While recently going through the boxes and boxes of various ammunition my father had built up over the years I came across two full boxes of the exact same ammunition as pictured by the OP. I know that this is 8x60 I (.318" bullets) ammunition and my father’s rifle was also chambered for this same cartridge, not the 8x60S (.323 bullets) ammunition as was typical of a re-chambered WWI or earlier rifle. My question is does anyone here know where to get the bullets and or additional brass for loading these cartridges? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Welcome Mr Wizard 1966
gunshows, cartridge shows, internet, gun shops?

Good luck & remember most any your likely to find are perhaps 50-60 years old and storage conditions can effect the product.

An alternative would be to find a modern made case that can be converted and then loaded.

Ain’t nothing easy.

Sellier & Bellot in its 2018 catalog still offers a .318 bullet (No. 2941, soft point, 12.7 g).
Cases will be much more difficult.

Edit: RCBS once offered case reforming dies using the .30-06 as a base.

Okay, after further research and a few calls I was put in contact with CH4D Tool & Die in Ohio and they manufacture custom and speciality dies. I ordered a set of dies for this caliber at $150 for the set of full length sizing and bullet seating dies. They are one of the few companies that will actually manufacture custom dies using a chamber mold. However, their lead time is now around 24 months but I got lucky in that they normally stock the 8x60 dies for the .318 bullets but they were out of stock last year in May so they entered a production run that should be completed by May of 2020. Yes, I will have to wait but at least I know that I will have the dies when I need them.

As far as cases go, standard 8x60 cases can be resized using the CH4D dies to hold the smaller diameter bullet. The other hard part is obtaining .318" bullets but I was assured by the guy at CH40 that I can easily draw down a .323" bullet using a two step process and so I also ordered two of their bullet sizing dies, one in .320" and then one in .318". For the limited use I am planning for this rifle I think spending a couple of hours resizing the bullets won’t be too much of a big deal.

Also, the cases can easily be formed from .30-06 brass if necessary.

Last time I looked Hawk offered a .318" bullet.

CBA