7 mm Sarbacanne

Old canne (walking stick) ctges called Sarbacanne (blow gun) ctges because you have to blow into the canne (walking stick) to shoot them !!!

(More dangerous than to take apart a big round with my method, don’t you think CSAEOD ??? Lol !!!)

PS : Hi Vit , I do not remember if I sent you these already !
And the Eley and Kynoch ones?

Great drawings Jean-Pierre !

Both I haven’t seen before. Can you pse confirm the dates on the drawings (1895 ?) and also what the overwritten freehand text ("… 1901.") means in English ??

Thanks very much… Brad

Bonjour Jean-Pierre,

Some Sarbacane cartridges

from left to right : ball, blank, blank, shot, shot and lighting

chassepot

[quote=“WBD”]Great drawings Jean-Pierre !

Both I haven’t seen before. Can you pse confirm the dates on the drawings (1895 ?) and also what the overwritten freehand text ("… 1901.") means in English ??

Thanks very much… Brad[/quote]

Yes these drawings are from 1895.

Ne se fabrique plus, ordre du 29 Octobre 1901.
means :
No more manufacturing, commandment of October 1901.

JP

[quote=“chassepot”]Bonjour Jean-Pierre,

chassepot[/quote]

Merci Yves.

I have some duplicates of these ctges if somebody wants to trade.
JP

[quote=“chassepot”]Bonjour Jean-Pierre,

chassepot[/quote]
What do you mean by lighting? I take it that you mean flare cartridge (pyrotechnic).

[quote=“Falcon”][quote=“chassepot”]Bonjour Jean-Pierre,

chassepot[/quote]
What do you mean by lighting? I take it that you mean flare cartridge (pyrotechnic).[/quote]

Hi Falcon !
yes , flare.
Here is the drawing. I like the fact you made a website to share your knowledge.

Ps : Falcon, are you interested by empty shotshells (fired ones like on your website) ? You just pay the postage and I send you 200 (all different) paper shells.

I have put off asking this, because I feel quite ignorant. I do not understand the early comments about having to blow into the cane to fire these cartridges. They have a primer. Can anyone explain the loading and firing processes involved here, in detail so even an idiot like I can understand them. This is just one facet of firearms and ammunition I have never studied at all, and have little on in my library. Everyone else seems to know how these work, so sorry if I am creating a boring question and (I hope) answer on the forum.

John,

Here is a drawing from the french patent #105494 from Mr. Gourdin (October 30, 1874).

It is an improved model of the original Sarbacane patented by Mr. Dumonthier.
The firing pin works without spring but with the breath of the man.

chassepot

[quote=“jean-pierre”]
Hi Falcon !
yes , flare.
Here is the drawing.[/quote]
Thanks, I thought “Lighting” was referring to a flare.

Hi John !!!

Did not you know that the Sarbacane system was invented by a syndicate of dentists who wished to increase the number of their patients!!!

Philippe

Chassepot - Merc

I feel honoured to join John Moss (for the first and only time) at the same level of knowledge in this Sarbacanne subject, but I want to go a step beyond and ask: Why, in the world, would one carry this single shot contraption in 1895, at the time when modern guns were available? Could not one have a regular walking cane and a small revolver in the pocket? And how did one aim Sarbacanne?

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Old canne (walking stick) ctges called Sarbacanne (blow gun) ctges because you have to blow into the canne (walking stick) to shoot them !!!

(More dangerous than to take apart a big round with my method, don’t you think CSAEOD ??? Lol !!!)

PS : Hi Vit , I do not remember if I sent you these already !
And the Eley and Kynoch ones?[/quote]

I want to see video of your efforts.

A couple more posts of interest under the following :

9mm Dumonthier Sarbacanne Headstamp

Really super interesting concept, and device. I also have never heard of this method of striking a primer. I wonder if their is a small vent hole before the cartridge to allow a high volume of airflow to produce enough of a primer wallop? If you blow on a clogged pipe, no airflow is produced and the dart or in this case “primer schwaker” will not travel forward and your cheeks explode.

Anyhow, I use blow guns quite regularly and their accuracy can be impressive with practice. I would imagine this device is pretty accurate also, even though I personal would prefer a different weapon in that era. Still incredibly fascinating, it would great seeing a photo of the actual device if available? Thanks so much. This forum rocks and you guys really know your stuff.

Jason

I think the Sarbacane only exist in 7 mm. The cartridges of the drawings have not head stamp. Later made cartridges have these special head stamps : D.S = Dumonthier Sarbacane

M. Dumonthier also patented classical walking stick using 7 mm, 9 mm et 12 mm Dumonthier.

chassepot

[quote=“chassepot”]
M. Dumonthier also patented classical walking stick using 7 mm, 9 mm et 12 mm Dumonthier.
chassepot[/quote]

Here is the 9 mm flare

[quote=“APFSDS”]Really super interesting concept, and device. I also have never heard of this method of striking a primer. I wonder if their is a small vent hole before the cartridge to allow a high volume of airflow to produce enough of a primer wallop? If you blow on a clogged pipe, no airflow is produced and the dart or in this case “primer schwaker” will not travel forward and your cheeks explode.

Anyhow, I use blow guns quite regularly and their accuracy can be impressive with practice. I would imagine this device is pretty accurate also, even though I personal would prefer a different weapon in that era. Still incredibly fascinating, it would great seeing a photo of the actual device if available? Thanks so much. This forum rocks and you guys really know your stuff.

Jason[/quote]

Primer schwaker ? Is that German for firing pin ?

Exactly! But that’s one crazy firing pin :-) This is a really fascinating weapon system, totally intrigued by it.