7 x 49 Belgian Pre Nato

hstp : F N 55

Is it a genuine army trial or a fake ?
Value please.

Thanks
JP

This is in my opinion an A.P. round produced in Belgium, as member of the BBC committy in there search for the future rifle cartridge in the late '50s
I have a .280/30 cartridge with the same AP projectile. (sectioned) its the second sectioned round. (see inage)

I am very interested in this round so if you are going to sell it please think of me.

yours Joost

I agree that it probably originates from the BBC trials, as I have the same projectile loaded in an FN 52 7mm case (.280/30).

Whether it is genuine in the 1955 7 x 49 case is open to question, as by then the BBC trials were dead and gone and all European interest in the 7mm 2nd Optimum (which is what this case is) was over.

The 1955 FN loaded ammunition was for a sales effort by FN to sell the round , now usually called 7mm Medium (or Liviano in Spanish) and the FAL to South American countries. Venezuela was the only buyer and they only used the round for a few years. I doubt if they had a lot of use for a composite rigid AP bullet.

Whilst it may be legit, it could also be a .280/30 type bullet loaded in a 7mm Liviano ball case. Certainly FN still had some loose projectiles at the factory in the 1970s.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks to everybody
JP

Graham Irving brought some of these over years ago. They were in .280/30 cases. I have not seen the FN.

Tony - In Spanish, the word “liviano” doesn’t mean “medium,” but rather it means “light” as in light-weight (it can also mean “frivolous” but that is totally irrelevent here). The use of that word for the cartridge-name in Spanish is derived from the Spanish name of the FAL rifle, the same as the name in any other language but translated to Spanish, “Fusil Automatico Liviano” (Lightweight Automatic Rifle). I have heard the round referred to often here as simply the “7mm FAL” although is a “popular” designation rather than a technical one, of course. In the “New World,” the word “fusil” is becoming archaic, with the word “rifle” (pronounced roughtly “ree-flay”) replacing it, but I am sure when the FAL designation was translated, they used the older word Fusil to maintain the original French-language initials. Of course, both words for rifle are perfectly correct still today.

Sorry John, a badly phrased reply on my part. I was aware that Liviano meant “light”, and what I was trying to say was that the round was known as the 7mm Medium in English but the 7mm Liviano in Spanish.

Interesting though that the term “fusil” is now archaic. The FAL will forever be known as the Fusil Automatic Legere to me! (Although as a Brit I suppose it is better known here as the SLR or L1A1).

Regards
Tony

Tony - I don’t think that word is archaic in France. I think it is the proper and currently used word for “rifle.” I am not sure if it is archaic in Spain, either. I know it is not used much in Mexico and Central America. Working in a gun shop with about 10% of the customers Spanish-only speakers, I never heard the word “Fusil” that I had learned, and had to find out, when I first heard it in Spanish (I spoke with a lot of Spanish-speaking cusomters, although we had two others who could handle the language, one perhaps not as well as I and one much better than I) what the heck a “ree-flay” was. When a customer wrote it out at my request, I was a bit embarrassed since I should have know it was “rifle” pronounced in Spanish.

In the part of South America that speaks Spanish - more speak Portuguese since Brazil has more people than all the rest of South America combined - they use both words, but Fusil seems to be still used a lot in official documents - instruction manuals, etc. I am just not sure of its use down there. I had Argentine customers, tourists and seaman, and heard both words from them.

I agree, by the way, about the FAL Rifle. I have owned several over the years - too touchy a thing now for me to want to own in California - and always think of it by the French/Beligan name.

You are right John "Fusil"is the French name.
JP