7 x 57 Cartridge from the Philippines

Please see attached photo…….
This item was recently discovered at SLICS 2019. This is a 7 x 57mm Mauser cartridge with F N 96 headstamp. The old nib pen handwriting on the card incorrectly identifies the cartridge as a Kraig Jurgensen. (Note incorrect spelling). Does anyone know what the Kemper Collection was, and who was Mr. Harry Gallivan? The seller had no information and no other similar examples.

Randy

1 Like

So what is special about this round? Is it rare?

Possibly a US soldier bring back from the Spanish American War (1898) or latter military action in the Philippines.

Brian

very cool Randy
I believe Kemper was associated with or worked at FA. A first name of Stan comes to mind. You might check back lists of ICCA club members?

I think there are probably lists of the soldiers who served in the S-A war & Mr Gallivan might be on them or perhaps he’s just a guy who brought a round back from his travels to give to a friend.

No sksvlad not rare by it’s self, but a cartridge with provenance.

2 Likes

I found the following on Harry Gallivan:

Manila Harry Gillivan, son of Maurice Gallivan , a former Bsllefontaine boy, is a soldier in one of the American regi… (Manila, Philippines - 1899) . History of …
. 1 , 1872, the son of James and Mary (Flynn) Gallivan. … Harry Gillivan , son of Maurice Gallivan , a former Bsllefontaine boy , is a soldier in one of the American regi … ( Manila , Philippines - 1899 ).

My searches lead me to a website called Geneanet which required subscription. So I am stuck.
Bellefontaine is a city in Ohio and is misspelled above.

Thanks, Vlad…

It’s easy to run into dead ends on the Internet…we’ll probably never know…

1 Like

It seems that the name “Harry Gillivan” is spelled wrong in the history cited, as they use that spelling for the son, Harry, but “Gallivan” as it is spelled on the paper attached to the cartridge, for the father, Maurice Gallivan. They also show him, in the same entry beginning with “1, 1872…” (unless their is much more to that entry) with two fathers - James Gallivan and then Maurice Gallivan.

John M.

Starting with the US federal censuses of 1880 and 1900 would be a good start for general info. Harry probably not in 1900 census but his immediate family likely is. If they had been Bellefontaine (a guess at the spelling) for a while they can probably be picked up in the 1880 census, maybe even with young Harry. Harry seemingly brought the cartridge back to the US from the Philippines and he eventually gave it to Kemper. Misidentification more likely Kemper’s than Harry’s I think. Jack

Randy, I’ve done some research on the subject and it seems that it belonged to the collection of Dr. George Whitfield Kemper, Jr. (1814-1902) and his son Dr. Arthur Kemper.

His collection was lent to Ball State University and it included military items from several wars, including some from Philippines.

An article says: “The Kemper collection - A collection fo relics was lent permanently to the College by the late Dr. G. W. H. Kemper, a pioneer physician of Muncie, and his son, Dr. Arthur Kemper. Some of the relics are from early pioneer life in America; others are from Palestine, India, and China.” (sic).

Here is another article published in 1966:

This is the only contemporary “Harry Gallivan” I could find, also from Muncie:

Harry R. Gallivan
Birth: unknown
Death: July 5, 1912
Burial: Beech Grove Cemetery
Muncie, Delaware County, Indiana, USA

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

I had a feeling when I started this thread that Fede, researcher extraordinaire, would find some good information. THANK YOU ! Using Jack’s advice, GALLIVAN turns up 0 results in the Midwest, but…GILLIVAN, James and GILLIVAN, Mary return several results in Ohio and Indiana. (I looked at only one website). Nothing using Harry, but this might be a nickname for Harold, Harrison, etc., in this case. The person I received this cartridge from resides in Indiana.
Randy