7 x 57mm Mauser

Hi, All…

I acquired this cartridge a few months back…
In St. Louis, I saw two or three of these, all marked in black pen on the case body, .275 Bland
What is the story ? Headstamp is GR (monogram) 1903

Thanks !! Randy

Randy, this is a King’s Norton S.P. (Spire Pointed) match cartridge loaded for Thomas Bland & Sons that was packed in clips in boxes labeled “Cervorum Cartridges .275”. The .275 Bland designation is a misnomer derived from the fact that there are also cartridges of this type headstamped BLAND˙275.

It was used in a takedown bolt action rifle made by Bland using DWM actions and marked on the barrel “THE CERVORUM”.

Is GR = Georg Roth? If so, how does it fit into this story?

I believe it was just a “case of convenience”.

Cervorum ( dative pl. of “Cervus”–Latin “Deer”). Simply means in the trade mark “Cartridges For Deer”; .275 being the English equivalent of 7x57 Mauser, a very Popular Deer Stalking Cartridge in Scotland and the Continent.

As to the GR 1903 Cases, obviously an over-run of a GR (Military) 7mm Contract, ( Serbia, Latin America, Spain?) and Roth supplied the Primed cases to KN for Loading. A very common practice before WW I between European Makers and Britain.

Doc AV

Thanks, All…

Always nice to know the “rest of the story”…

If anyone can post an image of the box, please do so…

Randy

This loading using an Austrian case is only reported with this particular headstamp and I don’t know if G. Roth supplied cases to KN or if this company recycled military cartridges. I don’t agree that this was a very common practice because this rarely occur except for a few Fraser cartridges in 6.5 and 7 mm caliber using Keller, Hirtenberger and DWM cases.

The firm of G. Roth also loaded cartridges of calibers between 8 and 6.5 mm with a bullet having this profile, but the ones that I’m aware in 7x57 have a longer overall lenght and GR 00 8 headstamp.

Fede…

The few cartridges I observed at St. Louis all had the GR 1903 headstamp, so this backs up your observation…

Randy