.700 Holland & Holland box

Does anyone know the background on this wood box - who made the cartridges and what headstamp would they have had. I purchased some cartridges and this empty box was used by the seller to pack them in.

I was shown some .700s in a similar box at Holland & holland, and, as I remember, the cartridges were headstamped “HOLLAND & HOLLAND .700” I presume they were made by Kynoch. Any help?

I think these were made by B.E.L.L.

These were made by B.E.L.L. for Holland & Holland. Here is a scan of the headstamp.

Thanks to all of you. Ron’s response reminded me that I had seen something on BELL’s production of .700 NE ammo in one of the issues of the IAA Journal. Again, I should have referred to the 50 year index first. Issue 359 has a lengthy and very informative article by James Bell about the cartridge and the rifles, in which he states that the standard production rounds had the Holland & Holland headstamp and were in a 5 round pine box. The same issue has a picture of one of these pine boxes on the back cover, which is the same as my box. Apparently, seven headstamps were produced by BELL, including Holland & Holland, Feldstein (large and small), Holden, Swinehart, Morrow, and BELL, as well as an unheadstamped case. Feldstein, Holden, Swinehart, and Morrow were the names of the men who ordered the first four rifles in this caliber from H&H.

I also have a .700 with identical headstamp to the one shown. I presume my memory fails me about the rounds being headstamped “KYNOCH .700”.

[quote=“Sht_LE”]These were made by B.E.L.L. for Holland & Holland. Here is a scan of the headstamp.

[/quote]

It is interesting that B.E.L.L. headstamped this case during the heading operation so the brass is flowing outwards to final size. This causes the headstamp to have a “smeared” appearance. The WW2 .303 contract rounds made by WRA also have this type of headstamp. The usual British headstamping practice is to complete the punching and forming operations and then apply the headstamp afterwards.

gravelbelly

Good observation gravelbelly. I had noticed the “smeared” headstamp but did not know what caused it. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Jason