75mm projectile

Several years ago I inherited an 75mm projectile from a deceased uncle and as I have no knowledge of artillery ammunition beyond the simple basics I am hoping to learn a bit more than I can gather from the dimensions. This uncle was a WWII veteran so I assume it is from that conflict, but as he trained working dogs in the Army his era of service may not be relevant. The projectile measures 75mm diameter, 250mm in length. The driving band is not present but the grove for it starts at 45mm from the base and is 18mm wide. The shell in its inert state weighs 12.1 pounds/5.48 kg

This is a very heavy groove for the driving band. I do not recall having seen one like that before (may not mean much).
Also the missing crimp groove is a bit odd here.
And as the projectile seems never to have been painted I wonder if this one never got finished.

Does the projectile have any markings?

And what country are you located in / where did your uncle serve?

1 Like

Thank you for your response. There were no markings that I was able to see, I will check more thoroughly when I get home from work today. It having not been finished seems likely as there doesn’t appear to be any traces of paint on it or Mark’s from having been seated or pulled from a case as I wouldn’t expect a 75mm to be separate projectile/charge as larger calibers are. My uncle served in the US Army and was stationed in Germany in 1945 after hostilities ceased so it could be from the US or virtually anywhere in Europe from what I know as to the German use of captured arms. If there is any more info that would be helpful I am happy to provide as much as i can.

That makes it not much easier but I think we can rule out German material.

I rechecked with a magnifying glass and can find on markings or evidence of paint residue on it anywhere. I think I will take it in to work with me tomorrow to check the thread pitch in the base, I would think this would at least help to narrow it down to countries using either the metric or imperial measurement system

Ken, yes, let us know what you have found out.

Possibly- U.S. NAVY 3 INCH COMMON PROJECTILE
http://oldguns.net

Brian