75mm question

Any idea what gun this 75mm was used it?

Ths is a case of the French WWI field gun. Their main weapon in WWI. Also used by US forces in Europe.

Thanks EOD!

Steve

Many of which were converted to trench art. I don’t see many of those trench art cases around anymore, but I guess they are still not worth much.

Actually, there is quite a market for the “trench art” desecration of otherwise collectible artillery shell cases.

I abhor them, but some folks love them and wonder why anyone would want a plain old brass case. Guess that’s why they sell both chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

I don’t know if it could be called trench art but a friend have a wind chime made out of 40 mm Bofors cases. Quite loud, in my opinion… An restaurant and inn in Jutland has a dining room with a military theme, they have a bell made of an 105mm tank gun case, also very loud but with a clear and clean note to it. Ringing it is by invitation only. Had a nice game ragout there a couple of years ago.
Soren

Can you give the case length, please?
I have a similar case, but the primer device is larger and the headstamp is in Bulgarian language, which reads:
" - 75 ПОЛСКО С. С. ОРЪДИЕ - ISSY [small triangle] 1 [small triangle] Л [small triangle] 11 [small triangle] ШНАЙДЕРЪ"
which, as far as I’m aware means:
" - 75 mm FIELD Q(UICK) F(IRING) CANNON … SCHNEIDER",
but I don’t know what the other symbols mean - small triangle, “1”, “11”, “Л”, “ISSY”. Please, can anyone of you help me with this, gents?

Cheers!
Ivo

Case length on mine is approx. 13 & 3/4 inches

bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgar … erbian.htm

Steve

I would think maybe the Issy would be short for Issy les Moulineaux, a manufacturing suburb of Paris. Jack

Issy: Issy-les-Moulineaux ( “Issy the Watermills”); site of the Gevelot and Gaupillat factory (later Societe Francaise des Munitions). Downstream village/suburb of Paris on the Seine ( hence the original Waterwheels from the Middle Ages.)

Watermills in the Middle ages were used to grind wheat into flour, saw timber, hammer-forge iron, draw iron and copper wire, run weaving looms, and any other industry that required power beyond human or animal capacity.
Back in 1975, in my “Home” village in North Western Italy, the local blacksmith was still using a wooden-arm power hammer operated by a waterwheel in the irrgiation chaneel behind his workshop. Admittedly, the waterwheel was rivetted steel, but the escapement cogwheel and the Long arm were made of Chestnut or Oak…and the timber looked like it was several hundred years old.

Regards,
Doc AV