7x57 DWM 1913

Were these made for export only? Did people hunt with these in Germany or they used 7.92x57?

I was scanning the French equivalent for Municion.org (who surprisingly are missing this headstamp), when I noticed a lack of “period” dot after M in S.F.M. I checked a dozen rounds and all were the same. Any meaning to this or just who cares thing? Then why bother with other 2 periods?

for more about the DWM 1913 7mm see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5200&hilit=DWM+7mm+S

Vlad: You don’t describe the bullet in the pictured cartridge, but 7 m/m cartridges with this headstamp are found loaded with sporting type bullets, so I’d guess they could have been sold in Germany for sporting purposes. The 7 x 57 was a popular hunting cartridge the world over, Germany included. Jack

Vlad - it is more common on S.F.M. headstamps to NOT have the final dot than it is to have it. I suspect they did it simply because the two dots are therefore centered and look better. Don’t know why else they would. There are probably headstamps with three dots, but I can think of one. Many later headstamp versions of “SFM” have no dots, however.

Regarding your 7 mm Mauser rounds, DWM 1913, I have a full, five-shot charger full of them. They have RN CNCS bullets, brass primer and black primer seal. I also have a full, five-shot charger of blanks similar to the German 7.9 PP33, with purple wood bullet, and headstamp DWM K which have a brass primer with no colored seal. The clips they are in are both marked “DM” in and oval, and fit perfectly my Brazilian Model 1908 (?) Mauser rifle based on the Model 98 action. They would probably fit other Mausers too, including the Venezuelan contract, so that is no guarantee the ammunition was made for Brazil.

John Moss

Jack, here are both the rounds: German on the left and French on the right. Me thinks me funny. Usually it is “German on the right and French on the left”.

Vlad: Yes, those are military loadings with the original 173 gr. round nosed jacketed bullet. In spite of the fact this is a full jacketed military style it is apparently the bullet Walter Bell used in Africa to kill most of the elephants he took before the first war. It was, more importantly, the bullet loaded into most of the 7m/m military ammunition for decades before giving way to various spitzer types. Jack