8 mm Lebel clips

Here are some info for a barby-Portuguese-British nice fellow.
It can be helpfull for other people, so I put the pictures on the forum

Modele 1890 : for 3 ctges clip

modele 1916 first type (on the left): for 5 ctges clips
modele 1916 second type (on the right): for 5 ctges clips. Adopted in 1925

Modele 1917: for 5 ctges. Used in the Mle 1917 rifles

(courtesy J. Barlerin)
Instruction clips (for Mle 1890 and both Mle1916) can be recognized by the letter X on one side of the clip
jp

Thanks for that Jean-Pierre, I have got these in my collection, information, such as the date of adoption of the 1916 2nd type is always useful. I have some variations of the 1890 type too.

gravelbelly

Hello,
you have the 1917 clip? It is very rare

jp

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Hello,
you have the 1917 clip? It is very rare

jp[/quote]

Yes, I have the 1917 clip, Herb Woodend gave it to me years ago.

What do the small crosses on the base of 1890 clips signify? I have been told that they show that the clip has been refurbished. I have one with a single cross but have heard of others with 2, 3 or 4 such crosses.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”][What do the small crosses on the base of 1890 clips signify? I have been told that they show that the clip has been refurbished. I have one with a single cross but have heard of others with 2, 3 or 4 such crosses.
gravelbelly[/quote]

I don’t know, and my friend is unfortunately no more there to tell me
sorry
jp

And here are photographs of this clip.

gravelbelly

and here is a japanese clip made for the us market
jp

(courtesy J. Barlerin)

You’re right JP
JP

8lebel.org/index.php?option= … Itemid=750

I have got all of those except the 1890 type without the lightening holes in the sides.

Does anyone have any information on the 4-round (yes, 4) clip for the 8mm Voilin rifle? I have a drawing by Crane, dated 11-5-78 and with a large “Proprietary information” warning notice stamped across it.

gravelbelly

I also have 5-round clips by Santa Fe, they are basically Mle 1916 type 2 but without the rib pressed into the centre of the base.

gravelbelly