8 x 50R mm Mannlicher Grenade Launching ? Cartridge

Hi, All…

Recently acquired this cartridge. Convex “wad” in the mouth, does not shake so possible black powder load. Serrated rim.
Headstamp is II 19 15 Crown.
municion.org shows it as a Grenade Propelling cartridge. The seller described it as a Trench Mortar Blank.

Enlightement most welcome

Randy

Motz shows two variations on page 227 of his Volume one. One has a slightly domed bullet, (which I have with the same headstamp you note) “for rifle grenade with time fuze” The one pictured has a IV quarter manufacture & is otherwise the same. The other which is the same use, has a flat red cardboard disc.

The Domed Bullet version if for Ignition of the Time fuse in a tube channel through the Grenade Body ( common to several WW I Rifle grenade types of both sides); Some even used an ordinary Ball round to “jam” in the Channel to provide the Gas Propulsion chamber.

The wadded one is for normal " cup " or “Spigot(rod)” Type grenades (By far the most common).

Some “Trench Mortars” ( mostly early, DIYs) used a rifle action and stub barrel attached to the Main Tube to contain a Propellant Launching cartridge ( again, common on all sides).

The serrated rim was to positively distinguish these as “Launching” Cartridges" and NOT “Training Blanks” ( “TriebsPatrone” and NOT "PlatzPatrone or “Salut-Patrone”).

Doc AV

The one I pictured has the domed bullet…I started out calling it a convex wad but domed bullet is a better description…

Randy