8 X 57 JRS Mauser inerted?

Found this in my junk box. I believe is a 8x57 JRS Mauser that has been inerted.

Rim:13.25 mm
Head: 11.85 mm
Neck: 8.65 mm
Case::56.95 mm
Blt: 8.04 mm

8 X 57 JRS MAUSER

Any thoughts on the agrressive attempt it inert it?

Thanks,
Paul

I don’t see a case mouth crimp. It might be a factory inerted sales or show & tell example, or just someone with a grinder?
Looks nicely done.
Apparently no powder stains on the iside?

fyi, This is a 8x57JR not a JRS.

Actually, it’s IR or IRS, since “JR” and “JRS” are completely incorrect and stupid designations.

Ole

WBD and tennsats

Thanks for the correction. This is not may area of collecting so my reference library is rather limited.
Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between the two?

Paul

Paul - please don’t take offense to my comment; this “issue” is much bigger than only collectors (Norma for example insists on using these dumb terms J/JS/JR/JRS).

The I/IR has a smaller diameter bullet than the IS/IRS, at 8,07-8,08 mm (0.318") vs 8,2 mm (0.323").

Ole

Ole,

No offense taken.

Ignorance is just a lack on knowledge on a subject and I definitely lack knowledge when it comes to these.
Thanks for the information.

Paul

Ole,
I am afraid the letters “JS” or “JRS” are not really incorrect or stupid.
They were created in the mid-twenties in Germany for the civilian derivatives of the German infantry rifle cartridge. At the time, it was not uncommon in German language to print the letter “I” as “J”, for example “Jnfanterie” instead of “Infanterie”.

This may have partly to do with the then popular printing type called Fraktur (Gothic in English). Here letters J and I looked either very similar or even identical, as in the font used by “Deutsche Jäger-Zeitung”, for example. But, as one contributor to this forum kindly pointed out, even in old British printed books one may encounter a word starting with uppercase I as printed with J.

The first German proof law that included basic bore dimensions and pressures for smokeless catridges (Beschussgesetz 1939), officially introduced the J, JR, JS and JRS designations.
Nevertheless, the J was always pronounced like letter I in the German shooting community. (I can personally attest at least to the last five decades of this.)

It took the hybris of CIP to decide that it knew German better than the Germans and decree in 1983 to change the J to to I. Available archive files do not show what brought the German delegation to signing up to this.

From a legal or technical point of view you are correct that in CIP countries letter I is mandatory. But letter J can be understood by its origin in German language peculiarities. Sweden is not a CIP country, so Norma is free to use the J.

1 Like

No wonder it’s confusing with Geco, Lapua, & PPU using one system, and S&B & Hornady using another. And RWS, well….
IS RWS
JRS RWS
IR RWS

pic from google search!
Dan