80 cm bullet

Big and heavy!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=9wR8Q07jVNA

The case and projectile shown was at Aberdeen proving grounds for many years. Ian Hogg wrote in one of his fine books that the 800mm Dora case was not headstamped ( because it could not be confused with anything else"). Ian was a wiz at artillery but slim on ammo details. This case is headstamped. For years I intended to photograpd the headstamp and send it to him but he died defore I could do that. Then I decided to make sure to get a photo to document the fact that these cases were headstamped. I made a special trip to APG a couple of months ago to do just that. IT WAS ALREADY GONE to Ft.Lee VA. where the new ordnance museum is supposed to open next year- GOOD LUCK !

Dr. Schmitt,

The example at APG was looking real sad when I last made it there in '09 before they started closing up. Yes, there were case head markings, but the elements had all but obliterated them making it difficult to have them show up in a picture. Unfortunately, no markings can be seen in this only shot I have of the head.

In a way, it may have been best it was not there for you to see. Memories of it in a much prouder condition of years past might be more enjoyable…

Dave

Thank you.

Here is an unfired projectile and a British soldier looking into the KING OF CARTRIDGES.

This is a fired test projectile which was found at Hillersleben Proving Grounds , Germany and recoverd by the British. This is in the Imperial War Museum, London. The gun and ammo were tested and proofed at Hillersleben.

Here’s another angle of the big bullet at the IWM.

And some of the other projectiles on display:

Awesome pics, Rick! I like your “angles” :-) That museum must be insane! What is that large double barrel gun outdoors (4th pic from the top)? Are those 16" Navy Guns?

J
I was shown a photo of a collector who has a mint 800 cm case in his collection. It was so large he had to remove walls and part of a staircase to get it where he wanted it in his house.

Jason

Everything you ever wanted to know about the big guns out front: collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.990

Great photos as usual !

Fantastic link, Rick. Thanks! Turns out they are 15 inch guns. Beyond amazing how they were manufactured and the fact the inner section of the barrel with the riffling was replaceable. I guess the rifling wears down after firing those massive projectiles., go figure.

Jason

Our 16" guns were lined. The liner crept out of the muzzle a wee bit everytime it was fired. After Desert Storm, we had the liners trimmed off. It was a very slow process. A large cutter was placed into the muzzle. The blade circled the extruded liner shaving it off. I had no idea how it was going to be done and envisioned a nice ring sawed off the liner! Initial velocity changed as the liner crept out, so we had to compensate with sight settings. There was a little radar dome on top of the turret that sensed initial velocity with each shot. Our Fire Controlmen cranked these settings into the analog computers.

Thanks so much for your service to our Country, Roundsworth! I really look up to all of you Vets beyond my words to describe. Anyhow, that is really fascinating information that I had no clue about. I love learning these type of facts.

Thanks big time!

Jason

Roundsworth

Was the liner creep a result of actual creep/movement, or was the liner metal expanding(extruding) due to the pressure?

Rick

Rick, we all understood that the liner itself was creeping out. That is why the intial velocity was checked shot to shot. The rammer would extend far enough to ensure that the rotating band engaged the rifling, no matter how far out the liner was. My turret fired 294 rounds during Desert Storm. I cannot tell you how many were fired from pre-com to that point. Looking at a photo of the trimming process, I can see the liner of one gun sticking out about an inch. As far as actually replacing the barrel…I do not know how far the liner would have to be out before trimming became useless. We had a floating crane by us that was ‘spoils of war’ after Germany surrendered. It was capable of hoisting the 67 foot barrels!
Thank you for the kind remarks, Jason.

You were using a WW2 German support vessel during DESERTSTORM ?

Missouri’s homeport was Long Beach. At the pier next to us was a large floating crane that came from a German shipyard after WW II. The crane stayed in Long Beach, but who knows what happened to it after the Long Beach NSY was shut down. The Boxer was one of the last ships to utilize the ship yard there in 1995.