88mm shell case length - 88 X ?R

• What is the length of the 88mm (8.8 cm) shell case used by the German 88mm anti-aircraft (and also anti-tank) gun during the WW2 years ??? I assume that the 88mm shell case is rimmed. 88 X ?R Thanks in advance for any help, Liviu 04/05/11

There’s the 88x571R L/56 Flak, AT and Tiger 1, and than there’s the 88x882R L/71, and Tiger 2

Numbers 3 & 4 from the left

• @ Tailgunner: Thank you! Is it possible for you to post a clear image of their headstamp markings ??? Thanks, Liviu 04/05/11

I can make an attempt, over the weekend.
My collection and I are 170 miles apart at the moment.

While we’re on the topic of German 88s, was there ever a WWII version of a German 77?

Bogart’s line from Casablanca:
Ilsa: "Was that cannon fire, or is it my heart pounding?"
Rick: “Ah, that’s the new German 77. And judging by the sound, only about thirty-five miles away.”

I always thought this was a mistake in the script, and that it should have been “German 88.” But was it?

No 77mm in WWII. By then all guns in 77mm (FK 16) in question got converted to 75mm “FK 16 n.A.” (during the 1930’s).

Never trust TV or ordinary publications.

While it’s an error from the standpoint of ordnance, Rick’s (that is, Bogart’s) remark rings true for an American of his generation. A 40-year-old American who’d served in the Great War (as Bogart had) probably would have thought the Germans had 77’s on the outskirts of Paris in the spring of 1940. Jack

That brings it all together. As the nA essentially means “New Model”, the FK 16 nA (in 7.5cm) is in fact a new model, or new modification, of the old FK16 in 7.7cm. Therefore Rick could well have been correct in his referring to a “new German 77,” as that’s exactly what the FK 16nA was at the time, but in a slightly smaller caliber. I hadn’t thought of it that way before, as I was thinking only of the WWI 7.7cm. I have no idea if the FK 16 nA played a part in the 1940 fall of France, but it sure could have. How could I have doubted Bogie?

Some further info:

The L56 case measured 88x571R with a rim diameter of 111mm. It came in two incompatible flavours: percussion primed for AA and electric primed for AFV.

The L71 case came in two sizes:
88x855R (123mm rim) for the AA gun round,
88x822R (146mm rim) for the AFV gun round.

For the sake of completeness, there was also a submarine 88mm in service in WW2 (the SK C/45) with a case measuring 88x390R (rim 112mm).

You can find all of these listed in the Ammunition Data Tables on my website: quarry.nildram.co.uk/ammotables.htm

• @ Tailgunner: Thanks, there is no rush, you can do it when you have time. Liviu 04/06/11

Liviu
Sorry, but the bases are to eroded for clear photographs.
I was able to see (magnification and sidelight) the following on the x571 case
(12, 9, 3, 6)
BZS- ? (looks like a 6, but can’t be sure)
aue
and at 6 o:clock (2 lines)
8.8cm

[quote=“Tailgunner”]Liviu
Sorry, but the bases are to eroded for clear photographs.
I was able to see (magnification and sidelight) the following on the x571 case
(12, 9, 3, 6)
BZS- ? (looks like a 6, but can’t be sure)
aue
and at 6 o:clock (2 lines)
8.8cm[/quote]

• @ Tailgunner: Thank you! What about the primer, is it the version with wrench flats and for percussion ??? Any markings on the primer ??? Thanks again, Liviu 04/11/11

I didn’t record the primer numbers when I was home, sorry. IIRC all of my German primers have the wrench flats on them
This case has the electric primer in it, but I also have a “spare set” of both percussion and electric primers (one of which is in my 75x495R case, headstamp “aux 44 3339ST”).

If you want, I can pull the primer numbers for you next weekend

[quote=“Tailgunner”]I didn’t record the primer numbers when I was home, sorry. IIRC all of my German primers have the wrench flats on them
This case has the electric primer in it, but I also have a “spare set” of both percussion and electric primers (one of which is in my 75x495R case, headstamp “aux 44 3339ST”).

If you want, I can pull the primer numbers for you next weekend[/quote]

• @ Tailgunner: Yes, if it isn’t too much trouble, please do it. Thanks, Liviu 04/12/11

Electric #1
P4 735 (This one is in my 88x822R)

Electric#2
DWM C/22ST 1944 686

Percussion #1
C/12 oASL wb 41 184 (this one is in my 88x571)

Percussion #2
This one is to rusted to read anything, but it appears to have a brass ring between the steel “holder” and the primer itself. Re-primed?

One question for the experts, could the primers have been field/depot changed/installed? As they are the same size and screw into a cavity in the base of the case (the case has a secondary flash hole in it) this would have eased logistics in the supply chain.

The second most common question asked of me at gun shows over the years was; do you have any 88s? The first was “what is this thing”.

Most people do not know that 88 is a caliber not a case type and that there are many case types from WW1 through WW2 used on land , over and under the sea ( ships and subs) and in the air as well. The case types range from the short case sub deck guns to the long and slender late model FLAK cases.

Not to forget even recoilless ones.

Yes,thank you. I did forget that.

DrSchmittCSAEOD–As you have stated, there are a number of different 8.8cm case types. Any chance you could put together a list of all the different types with their uses to help sort them all out?

Ron, the ninth post on page 1 of this thread gives you a starting point.