88x568R German

Hello,

Not at all my field, what is this German case which looks like 88x568R ?
The case head diameter is 112mm.

Specific Navy weapon ?

Thanks in advance,

JFL

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking - from the dimensions (headstamps aren’t my thing) this seems to be a standard 88mm L/56 AA gun case (the Tiger I’s gun used electric priming).

The navy used guns in 88mm calibre, with various ammo (which all fired 9.0 kg projectiles as standard) as described by Campbell:

The SKC/31 was an L/78 cal gun which fired very high-velocity ammo (1,060 m/s). I don’t know the case dimensions but the total length was 1227.5mm and weight was 18.5 kg.

The SKC/32 was an L/76 gun firing smaller and less powerful ammo (950 m/s): total length 932mm, weight 15.2 kg.

The SKC/30 and KM41 were 45 cal guns firing at 790 m/s which seemed to fire the same ammo as the SKC/32 (I have no ammo weights/dimensions, but chamber length and volume are given as the same).

The SKC/35 was an L/45 U-boat gun firing the smallest ammo (390mm case length), MV 700 m/s.

I don’t have comparable overall or chamber measurements for the land-based 88mm guns, but the L/56 round seems to have been much the same weight overall as the SKC/32/30 ammo. No doubt someone here has chapter and verse…

I can now confirm that the Flak 18/36’s 88x571R cartridge was used in several naval guns: the SKC/30, SKC/32, SKL/45 and Flak L/45. As well as marine versions of the land guns being used (Flak 18 M and 36 M).

The only ones which differed in their ammo were the bigger SKC/31 and the smaller SKC/35. The smaller one is known, but so far no-one has identified the larger one.

Thanks Tony.

[quote=“TonyWilliams”]
The only ones which differed in their ammo were the bigger SKC/31 and the smaller SKC/35. The smaller one is known, but so far no-one has identified the larger one.[/quote]

The C/25 and C/31 used the longest known case (hs is C/25 actually). This caliber was phased out before the war.

The C/35 used the short cased and so called “submarine cartridge” what is basically incorrect since this cartridge was also used in other applications.

Thanks very much, that’s great info!