8mm Incendiary Cutaways

First one is a tracer but all the rest are incendiaries, from left to right:
8mm Lebel tracer ST/ 44/ PAS, steel case, solid bronze projectile that was drilled out on bottom for tracer mixture. Not shown is how bad the base of the bullet had been split four ways, probably from contamination. Still worked out.
7.92 German PMK, 59/38/?/S*, one is tropical with black neck sealant, the other is not but has a cannelure (From crimping?) A white phosphorous API, that has been replaced with hot glue.
7.92 German B-Patronen, aux/41/11/S*, Hot glue replacing white phosphorous, brass shavings for the explosive.
8mm Austrian, X/X/X/7.9, Purple tip, was told armor piercing but that was wrong. Has white phosphorous filled tip (now hot glue) and a free floating lead square two part core, which I left whole. Please see Paul Smiths “The Better Half” in IAA journal 483, page 36 +37. #4 down is a German SPr from WW1 with a two piece lead core. However that one is GMCS and the purple tip Austrian is just nickel steel. How easy is it to strip off the gliding metal?
Kevin

Very nice cuts.

Kevin, please take care, white phosphorus is dangerous for your health.

Dutch

ok stupid question
how do you cut this with out blowing your self up

ive always like these type of cutaways

thanks for sharing

[quote=“wolfganggross”] . . .that one is GMCS and the purple tip Austrian is just nickel steel. How easy is it to strip off the gliding metal? Kevin . . .

I’m not sure exactly what your question is, or how the German GMCS jackets are made, but:

GMCS here in the good old U.S. of A. is a 3 layered sandwich of gilding/steel/gilding that is bonded under high pressure. Traditionally, the outer layer of gilding makes up 15% of the total jacket thickness which means it is about .003" thick. Much more than a simple wash or plating, so it cannot be “stripped off”.

Ray

What Ray wrote also applies to German GMCS.

The jacket material starts rather thick with typically a layer of 5 percent thickness gilding on the inside and 10 percent on the outside. This is then repeatedly sent through rolling mills until the final plate dimension is reached, from which the jacket cups are made. Although steel and gilding are very different, the relative dimensions of 5 percent : 85 percent : 10 percent thickness remain the same over the entire multistage rolling process.

Whos2kno–One of the topics that are not allowed on the Forum is “How-To” info on sectioning. The results are very much allowed and are welcome, but, for liability reasons, the “How-To” is not. Please direct any questions regarding “How-To” directly to the poster via email.

ADIM.

Yes, on to the real question (sorry): Is this a German SPr from WW1 that they stripped off the gliding metal that the Austrians reused/ reloaded, or did the Austrians make the same version for WW2? I think Ray and JPeelen answered my question. If you notice Smiths’ German head stamped version in the journal, there isn’t a solder covered brass base plate that helps seal in phosphorous. The Austrian version does. Can anyone give a date on this one, is this WW2? Thanks for help.
Dutch thanks for looking after me. This was a bit of a surprise while cutting. Reminder to self, solder on base of bullets means its sealing something! kevin