8mm Mauser Origin

Hello, everybody! This should be an easy request…I have some 8mm Mauser cartridges with the headstamp as follows: at 12 o’clock is ‘NK’ (the ‘N’ is backwards) and the date at 6 o’clock is ‘1961’. The bullet is copper jacketed and non-magnetic, the case neck is annealed, and the primer has purple sealant on it. Thanks. Cheers!

This is a Yugoslav cartridge made by Igman Konjic.

Thank you!

In case anyone is interested here is what the 15 round box label for the round looks like. Probably different lot numbers but there is no way of knowing once the cartridge is no longer with the box.
The cartridges in this box are in unmarked, bright steel chargers as noted on the label.

Does anyone have images of the other box labels for the various loads which snuck into the US along with this stuff ? Reworked B-Patrones, etc.

Hi
I found this box in the middle of a box of cartridges (Ball), closed!

The Yugoslav 7.9mm loadings that used German WWII bullets have been mentioned several times on the forum. I was given a printout from another forum from a fellow in the former Yugoslavia that lists 5 of these loadings (I can’t find it right now). It lists the “EZ” as a explosive/incendiary, the “PO” as a AP-T and the “P (H)” would be a AP-T Hi-Velocity if the bullet follows the German marking scheme. If I can find the printout I will post the other loadings (but these are the only labels I have).

[quote=“JMG”]Hi
I found this box in the middle of a box of cartridges (Ball), closed!

[/quote]

Thank you. Very nice.

[quote=“pbutler”]The Yugoslav 7.9mm loadings that used German WWII bullets have been mentioned several times on the forum. I was given a printout from another forum from a fellow in the former Yugoslavia that lists 5 of these loadings (I can’t find it right now). It lists the “EZ” as a explosive/incendiary, the “PO” as a AP-T and the “P (H)” would be a AP-T Hi-Velocity if the bullet follows the German marking scheme. If I can find the printout I will post the other loadings (but these are the only labels I have).

[/quote]

Excellent as usual. Thank you.

Phil, you and I have talked about this before, but I think the PO & P(H) are basically the same loadings. Perhaps the PO is for remounted WW2 German bullets and the P(H) are of new manufacture or bullets that were not “pull down”? The powder type (05) and charge weight are the same for both loadings. The only difference I have noted is the sealant used on the base of the APT bullet in the P(H) loading differers from the remounted German APT bullet. I tend to believe the green ring on the P(H) round has more to do with the bullet being a tracer than a carry over of the German -v- markings. The loading data simply does not support a high velocity cartridge. JH

Jim – You are probably correct about the P (H) loading. I don’t remember if it was listed in the printout (which I still haven’t found) of Yugo loadings using German WWII bullets or not. You notice I hedged my bet a little by stating “the “P (H)” would be an AP-T Hi-Velocity IF THE BULLET FOLLOWS THE GERMAN MARKING SCHEME”, which it apparently does not.

One thing that seems rather unusual to me is that of all the different loadings they had, I can’t recall ever hearing about a Yugoslavian made 7.9mm armor-piercing round.

Phil - As you know, the norm for post-WWII Yugoslav (Serbian) ammunition is for them to have
non-magnetic bullets. Exceptions are those loaded with German bullets. Since the black tip in
Germany was AP-T, I would think that the Yugoslav loading with a GMCS bullet with black tip ise
a German bullet and therefore also an AP-T.

The only other post-WWII round that was in my 7.9 collection was a yellow-tipped round that
when I obtained it, I was told was an AP. It has a magnetic bullet. However, since no documentation
was forthcoming, in my catalog, I did not show the loading at all, but rather an after-note that it might
be AP. I searched my file and found quite a pictorial listing of Yugo 7.9 loads (Post WWII only) and labels, with explanations written in French (I have forgotten from whom I received it, but perhaps you will know from the
French language used on the list), but unfortunately, it doesn’t show the yellow tip round. The “yellow” by the
way is more of a Golld color, but flat, not metallic-like paint.

Wish I could be more help. You probably know what this round is already.