8mm Nambu loading problems

Here are a couple of what I believe are original Federal Cartridge Co loads that had problems during loading. I assume the bottom of the bullets or the edge of the seating die tore the necks as the bullets were seated. It is interesting how consistent the damage is to the two - which I assume might me expected when using an automated loading machine.

The story I got was that Federal never loaded these cases; that the project was halted before it got that far, and the cases were sold off to other companies. I can’t verify that, and would like to get the true story on this headstamp. Does anyone know the story, with a bit more than conjecture or anecdotal evidence?

Guy

Things like that show up in the best of ammunition, in spite of multiple inspections. I once had two misfires with Federal Match primers and talked to other shooters who experienced the same thing. The next time it happened I saved the primer and found that it had no mixture in it, only a cup and anvil. I sent it to Federal and they replied, “Oh $hit” or something like that. I’ve had primers seated backward, again in Match ammo, so a wrinkled case mouth or two is something you’d expect to encounter every once in a while considering the billions of rounds loaded.

Factory errors could be a new collecting specialty for a new guy who thinks everything has been covered.

ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Factory errors could be a new collecting specialty for a new guy who thinks everything has been covered.

[/quote]

I’m with Ray on this one, things of this kind happen all the time but there should be the inspection process to catch them before they go out of the door.

If anyone is interested in collecting loading defects I have a box full to get you started and I would imagine Ray probably has another.

I have this “R-P 9mm Luger” headstamped cartridge. Is this a related problem?

Yes, this could be a new and interesting specialty. Keep in mind that this can happen while handloading too, so don’t assume that it is always a factory error. I’ve messed up a few cases over the years while seating the bullet, even when taking my time on a single stage press.

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]Yes, this could be a new and interesting specialty. Keep in mind that this can happen while handloading too, so don’t assume that it is always a factory error. I’ve messed up a few cases over the years while seating the bullet, even when taking my time on a single stage press.

AKMS[/quote]

I have found factory loads like this before myself. It happens.

I have also had the same thing that AKMS mentioned. Done while handloading. When handloading with a single stage press though, you can ‘feel’ something going awry when it happens.
This post also brings attention to the final and most crucial point of quality control, inspecting your rounds before you put them in the magazine or chamber of your firearm.

-Allen

John, these two cartridges were in a group of mixed cartridges when I received them, so I can’t help in regards to sorting out if Federal loaded any of these or not. They do appear to be original loads, as there is no expansion of the cases down towards the heads or any other evidence of having been fired. But, if FC did dispose of the new cases, then I suppose anyone could have loaded them.

Guy - my two rounds were loaded by Old Western Scrounger, the owner of which, Dave Cumberland, is an old friend and colleague of mine. I forget, to be honest, what he told me about them. One has a lead bullet and one a FMJ bullet. Jim Bell made the cases. I don’t really know if they were ever even delivered to Federal or not, but I am trying to find out, as much for my own records as for this Forum. Jim Bell also made the Midway cases in this caliber.

There is Zero catalog reference to 8mm Nambu in any Federal contemporary catalog, and I know of no one who has ever seen a Federal box label for this ammunition.

If I get more information, I will post it here.