8mm Siamese

I am the first to admit; “I am not a gun guy” (I own a couple long guns, no hand guns…but I have ammo out the yingyang)(admit it; you all suffer from the same condition)

If a friend tells me he seeks some ammo for his 8mm Siamese…and if I were to look for a few rounds at SLICS…what would I look for? 8 x 50R or 8 x 52R

(and will I find any ??) …rumor has it…it’s scare stuff

(unless it’s “special purpose”…I am way out of my league!!)

You will find some of both at SLICS, more of the 52mm case length, as I believe most of the 50mm chambered rifles were later converted to 52mm. Probably not much good as shooting ammo.

The stuff that seems to turn up the most is the 8x52R loads from Old Western Scrounger, and those are just contemporary ball loads in reformed cases, still a relatively rare box for OWS:

I’m not sure if OWS putting Vishnu on a box of ammo is proper or not, but oh well.

The real good stuff would be an API load by Kynoch in 8x52R. I hear they had AP and API in the 8x52R caliber.

Thanks…see you guys at SLICS

He wants a round or two…first as a display (not sure he is going to shoot any?)

Pepper, with all due respect, I am not going to say “I am not a gun guy”. Actually, collecting guns lead me to look and get interested in ammo. And, again, no disrespect, but a feel and sound of a Czech Mauser action being open and closed rivals going through the entrance door of SLICS show room.

Vlad, you have it Baaaaad

I bid on 3 Siamese rounds on an auction site, I passed on it after the rounds hit 8 bucks apeice. I do remember a reading about a guy that still loves to shoot his, I think he made the rounds from .348 brass.

Steve

Over $5 for a good condition 8mm Siamese is a bit stiff, unless for an uncommon headstamp or loading.

8x52R Siamese can be Made from either 45/70 cases ( Lot of work) or from 8x56R M30 Austrian Ammo/cases. .348 W is Incorrect.

If the person concerned needs reloading info, please get him to contact me direct ( www.gunboards.com to place the query.

IAA Rules prevent any further info on this ( reloading) topic.

Real cartridges in this calibre are getting like Hens-teeth, and the cost of individual (collector’s) cartridges getting up to the $10.00 mark.

DocAV
AV Ballistics Technical Services
Brisbane Australia.

[quote=“DocAV”]8x52R Siamese can be Made from either 45/70 cases ( Lot of work) or from 8x56R M30 Austrian Ammo/cases. .348 W is Incorrect.

If the person concerned needs reloading info, please get him to contact me direct ( gunboards.com to place the query.

IAA Rules prevent any further info on this ( reloading) topic.

Real cartridges in this calibre are getting like Hens-teeth, and the cost of individual (collector’s) cartridges getting up to the $10.00 mark.

DocAV
AV Ballistics Technical Services
Brisbane Australia.[/quote]

I was giving that from memory, so probably wrong on my account.
Steve

DocAV is right on with his reply. I’ve been making 8mm Siamese ammo for my rifles for years. It will take a few minutes per casing to make but the cartridge is very mild in it loading. You will get a very long case life.
Use the posted loads and not “fill the case” as the rifling will not stabilize a bullet faster than 2,400 fps with any accuracy.
I find 2,200-2,300 really shoots well out to 500 meters using a long heavy bullet.