8x50R/8x52R Siamese

I worked as a technician at the underwater communications cable system that ran from Camp Vayama near Sattahip, Thailand to Vung Tau in Viet Nam from 1971-1973. Vayama was the point of entry for all bombs that were dropped in South East Asia from the Airfields in Thailand. I was amazed at the variety that existed as the trucks passed by the cable site after unloading the ships at the port. This went on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Here is an empty Kynoch made 8x52R Type66 case

Regards,
Vince

An extremely interesting thrread. Were you a SCUBA tech.? We had several FINNs on the site early on but they don’t seen to come on any longer. ???

CSAEOD

No, an electronic tech. Maintained and operated the comm. equip.

pbutler

I have three variants of the Kynoch manufactured 8mm Siamese cartridge.

Left to right these are:

Ball, purple annulus, K 68 8MM.S
Tracer, red annulus, K 50 8mmS
Tracer Standard, clear annulus, K 50 8mmS

There is also a grey tipped tracer, but I do not have that. I cannot help with the ballistics as the round is not listed in Kynoch’s pre-war catalogue of military contract ammunition, nor is it listed in their 1950s commercial catalogues.

Refards
TonyE

strakv & TonyE

Thanks for the pictures

pbutler

‘Cartridges Issue 332’ dated !st Quarter 1986 IAA previous journal has an excellent article entitled ‘The 8mm Siamese Cartridge’ with hst drawings - check IAA’s backcopy listings.
In addition to TonyE’s listing - I have the grey tip AP-Incendiary (K57 8MMS), a holed-primer ball dummy (K50 8mmS) and chromed dummy (K34 8M/MS). Info on Kynoch manufacture is hard to come by - here’s what I have. Note the orders for the Siamese Navy which bears directly on your 1971 observations. The box is dated 14th March 1955, the drawing 1932 (earliest Kynoch hst I’ve seen is 1934 - anyone have an earlier one?) Some cartridges were made in Denmark during 1920’s - probably for Madsen who supplied MG’s to Siam - note later 1950’s contract for Madsen.

Regards JohnP-C

JohnP-C

Thanks for the nice box picture and Kynoch data.

pbutler

Just to reactivate this interesting thread on Siamese rounds, let’s see some belts and links.

The Siamese Government was an important customer for the Vickers Armstrongs company. For the time period from 1929 until 1936, a total of 732 class “C” watercooled Vickers ground machine guns has been delivered.

To begin with, here are pictures of the corresponding Vickers belt exported to Siam. Note that the fabric is made of Egyptian white cotton.

Cheers,

JFL

[quote=“JFL”]The Siamese Government was an important customer for the Vickers Armstrongs company. For the time period from 1929 until 1936, a total of 732 class “C” watercooled Vickers ground machine guns has been delivered.
[/quote]

What was the Vickers called in Siam? Baep 72 (Model 72, from the year 1929)? Or something else? Many thanks!

Cheers

HANS