8x50R Lebel

I bought a few to ad to my collection, They were all live and Jim Miles and myself sat down to inert them.

Can anyone tell me between what years this style of headstamp was used.

Any info on this round would be great, ie the bullet base mark, the bullet wt=201.9gr

This was a live bullet when we pulled it, the bullet base mark is not to clear in the photo but it is a gothic N. Is this a case of a reload or is it using up surplus stock? Bullet wt= 153.6gr…thanks…paul.

I am a little confused.

For me it is a German WW1 “S” bullet, made from hard lead by RWS, vormals Utendoerffer Nürnberg.

Rgds
Dutch

Dutch…that’s what I make it out to be. Don’t know if anyone else has come across this before…

Timeout, you ask the question below the third picture down,“Can anyone tell me between what years this style headstamp was used.” Actually it is just not the headstamp that makes it unique, but also the angular style of the groove and the fact the headstamp is down in the groove as opposed to being on the top of the rounded part of the grooves as in later Da.m. cartridges. I have three of these early style angular Lebel 8x50r Da.m. cartridges. All of mine are dated 1915, either 2 or 3 trimester. So far as I know, this was the first style Da.m. with the head groove and was replaced by the rounded groove version. I am only aware of them with 1914 and 1915 dates. The makers are mine are APX and ATX.

Paul, this bullet was made by Gaynor Manufacturing Company of Stratford, Connecticut. Regards, Fede.

George… I have one other which was a metal detector find some 20 years ago. a lot worse for wear! but just readable…
ART.D./13/ EOP.S/2/ I think its EOP.S or something very close, So now that takes it from 1913-1915. any thoughts on the EOP.S would be helpful…paul.

Fede… many thanks for the info, would you know if this was a war contract or a commercial round? Also the last letter after ART is hard for me to read as it right on the edge, I think it might be a A or R what do you think…thanks…paul.

Paul, this Mle. 1886 D cartridge was a military contract for France and the last letter is a “D”. During the 4th trimester of 1915 the headstamp reading “REMINGTON” was used to replace the earlier style reading “REM-UMC”, which also exist with the same date. Regards, Fede.

Fede…great info thank you, now need to find a REM-UMC round! it never ends!!! paul.

Paul, it can’t be EOP, this code does not exist. It’s ECP. This style of headstamp (Dam first type head) was approved in 1911 and was mainly made from 1913 to 1915.
Here is the first style REM-UMC heastamp from contract to France:

Domi

Domi…thanks for that, EOP was not to far from ECP on a old dirty case! Would you know of a good reference book in english for the 8mm Lebel bullet?..thanks again…paul.

Remington Cartridge, Question: was the Balle D made for this cartridge in the USA, made by the Double-Swage-the-slug and turn-off the flash whilst cutting the cannelure (French method) or was it fully Turned (“screw machine”/profiling Lathe --forerunners of CNC)

Doc AV

Doc: The balle D bullets used by Rem-UMC and Western were produced by a number of contractors in the U.S., so I suppose they might have been made by the techniques favored by each contractor unless the French directed otherwise. Jack

OK…so how do you tell which way it was made?..paul

Just out of curiousity… why do you make them inert?

Ole

sent you an email tennsats