8×50R Mannlicher Unknown headstamp

Recently found thia Headstamp appears on 8×50R Mannlicher.Berdan primed.

1 Like

Was it found in China? Very neat headstamp.

Yes.It was Unearthed in Shandong province

1 Like

I am probably going to be entirely wrong, but based upon a very rough head appearance, a strange looking primer well, equally rough primer look, and a simple headstamp design “Li”, I guess it is a locally produced cartridge native to China. Shandong Province has access to the ocean, and those areas were industrialized early. So my guess is your cartridge is also old.

There is an 8x50mmR Mannlicher cartridge in the Woodin Lab collection which is discussed in Chinese Ammunition 1870 To The Present Day, Elks, K.; 2012, page 59. This cartridge has a 4 segment headstamp and is attributed to the Wu Zhou Arsenal.

Here an IAA Forum discussion concerning a brass 8x50mmR/8x56mmR Mannlicher clip found in China:

And here is a short article concerning an example of a Chinese 8x50mmR Mannlicher in a museum collection in Russia:

Brian

1 Like

Qing China imported a lotof M86 and M88 Mannlichers even before the Boxer Rebellion, and in the 1890s developed a Mannlicher wedge (88) pattern rifle at Jianling
(Shanghai) arsenal, for a 7,62x55R cartridge, a cross between the 8x53R Mannlicher, and the 7,62x54R Russian
More than 10,000 rifles were built, but later ordered destroyed by the
Young Emperor, pressuredby “the old Buddha”, the Dowager Empress, Tsi Hsi ( Ci Xi)
Or “Dragon Empress” of Boxer Rebellion Infamy.

Doc AV

1 Like

So should this be considered as a previously unknown Chinese headstamp?

Brian

1 Like

I looked through “symbols” in MS Word. It has a mind boggling array of letters and signs like this 〦〧〨エ 㔾 㠪 仨. I could not find anything like that symbol on the headstamp. But I believe it is something with a meaning.