8x57/7,92x57 Beobachtung/B-Patrone bullet marking

I know that the black marking on the B-Patrone round is not paint and is somehow chemical applied but can’t find any original sources on how it was done. Any help would be great! (I know there are some collectors out there that would hold such knowledge, so if you know them direct them here!)

1 Like

Sionso,
The chemical blackening on
B-Patrone is similar to modern
Blackening agents for copper, brass or bronze…analogous to
Steel Blueing.
By the way, since the B-patrone is
Military and German, it is " 7.9" NOT 8x57 ( sporting ammo) NOR 7.92 (Czech, British, others).

Doc AV

Thanks for the answer!
My Luftwaffe cartridge book from 1939 refferences them as both 7.9 & 7.92x57IS/JS?
8x57 is just Americans diferentiaing it from 8x63 ( can’t tell the difference between .323 & .318 bores)
The extra names were just how I see most people refference it.

The Luftwaffe 1939 book would be referencing it as “7.9” German, and “7.92 " Czechoslovak, since the Germans occupied Bohemia and Moravia, and separated off Slovakia, in early 1939 ( March)
The 8mm ( US) designation is due
To a pre WWI confusion between
correct military description, and
German Commercial Sporting Description and perpetuated by US ammo makers after WWI…
To note that US production of 7.9 for China in WWII and after, is correctly labelled " 7.9”, as are 1950s contracts for Indonesia ( 7.92) and Israel.
Also, nothing to do with 8x63 Bofors ( Swedish MG cartridge)
Or the US conversion of Kar98k rifles to “8mm-06” ( a .30/06 case expanded to an 8.2mm (.323") projectile and sporting.).
Doc AV

1 Like

Sionso,
the exact process of blackening was left to the manufacturer (TL 13/1002 as of 1939).
The chemicals typically used can really do harm to people and should in my view only be handled by people professionally trained in using dangerous substances. Not mentioning the difficulty to translate traditional German names to the correct modern equivalent.

DocAV is correct in his comments regarding 7.9 mm. Luftwaffe did use MG bore dimensions different from army specifications, but nevertheless called the ammunition 7.9 mm, for example in LDv 4000/1, titled “7,9 mm Munition für MG15 und MG17”. See also the relevant chapters in LDV 4000/10 of 1942 and its amendment of 1944 as well as the firing tables in LDv 4/g10 of 1942. Sometimes a box of cartridges made for Luftwaffe shows up with a label saying “7,9 mm”.

1 Like