8x58R Danish Krag "V.I.25" Marking

What does the “V.I.25” on an 8x58R Danish Krag headstamped round mean?
Is it also true that Haerens Laboratorium of Copenhagen only manufactured ammunition for the Danish Navy? This round was a live round, pulled in front of me, before it was pulled, the bullet was seated very far down into the case. Is this usual for this calibre or had it been forced in at some stage?

The full headstamp is:

—V.I.25
19-------28
-----HL

I’m sure this has an easy explanation, an answer would be extremely helpful.

It is not true that H

The “VI” marking appears on nearly all Danish ammo in the 20th century, at least up to 1950s on 6,5 x55 ammo, as well as 8x58R. It is not a Roman "VI (6) but an indicator with a year of some kind; The metal supply or Cup draw seems the most feasible, as the date with the VI usually precedes or is the same as the actual HS date (ie cartridge filling date).

A question for our Danish Colleagues ( or on a larger stage, Scandinavian colleagues), as there was Interchange in ammo technology between all three Nordic countries.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

I think that you are probably right on about the “Roman Numerals” not being that, but rather a code. “VI” is not the only one. I have a picture of two 20 x 118mm cases in file, one headstamped “HA V 37 1939” and the other “HA V 36 1938.” It appears that “VI” was not the only designator.
Please note that both headstamps had other small markings, but not germane to this discussion and difficult ot type.

I also found a reply to a question made by the very knowledgeable German collector Manfred Beutter in ECRA Bulletin Number 493, item 493-8, page 4, that includes along with other text, a little table of headstamp use, but unfortunately with no pictures. The table reads:

L 1889-c.1894
HL and year (last two digits c.1894-1900
crown, complete year, and HL 1900-1911
CODE OF THE BRASS SUPPLIER, complete year, and HL 1912-1937
CODE OF THE BRASS SUPPLIER, complete year, and HA 1938-1942

It looks like our guess was correct.

Thanks for your insight on the supplier’s codes, not being Roman Numerals (well, they could still be Roman Numerals of course, as a code, but having nothing to do with the month of the year).

The V and I in the “V.I.25” marking are separated by dots, which suggests it is some form of abbreviation, which would make sense if it is the code of the case metal supplier. Now only the question of the name of the company that supplied the brass for the cases remains.

Also, can anyone provide any info on bullet seating depth for round of this calibre made at Haerens Laboratorium?

Anyone know the company “V.I.” stands for? Can anyone shed any light on the bullet depth question?

Falcon: I miked several specimens and came up with an average overall length of 3 inches. So in fact the bullet of a correctly-loaded specimen is rather deeply seated. JG

Thanks, the bullet just appeard to have been pushed into the case, but there is a line on it that shows that it has always been seated at that depth.