9,5x76R WRA 70

Hi!

A friend of mine have come over a cartridge I cannot identify. The measurements is given as 9,5x76R and the head stamp is WRA 70.

//Chris

0 Likes

Looks like the 9.8x76 SR Flechette Win experimental. Listed in case type books. Nice item.

0 Likes

Thank you for the answer ron3350, the thought of a flechette has not occurred to me. This is really not my field of knowledge. I have sent the question now to a guy with a expertise in the field and see what I can find out. I also have a interest in if any weapon were developed for the cartridge or if it is only tiered through test barrels?

//Chris

0 Likes

Hi Chris,

What is the primer annulus colour? This can be a clue to the design of the flechette (fin shape). what about the colour of the material that supports the flechettes?

This is the insides of a typical one:

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul!

I have to check with my friend of the colour of the flechette support material. The cartridge do not have a annulus colour, I hope the picture is added correctly now.

//Chris

0 Likes

Hi!

The owner have checked the annulus colour and it seems to be dark, might be dark green. The top cover is not clear, but with a bright light it is possible to see the fleshettes inside. The support is to far down inside the cartridge to see the colour. I guess this is as far as it is possible to come in the question, thank you all so much for your shared knowledge!

0 Likes

Hi Chris,

The below round had a green ps and has a translucent support material, which would explain why no colour can been seen.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for your help, and the superb picture!

//Chris

0 Likes

What was the intended weapon/usage of this round? Was it military?

0 Likes

Hi Vlad,

Yes, military and for a belt-fed machine gun.

Paul

1 Like

Vlad, check R. Blake Stevens; Edward C. Ezell (1985). The SPIW: The Deadliest Weapon That Never Was. Collector Grade Publications. ISBN 978-0-88935-038-0.

1 Like