9 MM 44 ammunition questions

I recieved several boxes of 9mm ammo from a friend some time back, and have questions about it. I’ve fired quite a bit of it, but still have a few boxes left. The head stamp is 9 MM 44. The boxes are plain brown cardboard/paper, holding 64 rounds each. No labels or marking at all. I read one thread here discussing the background of the ammo (and it’s 7.92 counterpart), but it was a few years old.

A friend gave me the ammo because he doesn’t have a 9mm, and I’d just bought mine. My question mainly deals with the ballistics of the round. From my 4.75" barrel (EAA Witness Elite Match) it seems quite hot. I didn’t think a large all steel 9mm would recoil as much as it did. I guess I expected it to be a LOT tamer than my .40 S&W Sig 229, but it wasn’t.

Okay, does anyone know what the MV, etc. are for these? I’m guessing it’s a 124gr bullet, since it’d be NATO spec…or would it?

Hi,

Well, it’s not exactly a good idea to assume that a 9mm is just about the same as any other 9mm. This line of thought ruined lots of guns in the last 50-odd years (and probably before that as well).

The problem is that you don’t know the composition of the round, the chemical composition of the powder (if any), the reason a round was developed (machinepistol, proof round, etc…), etc, etc…

So it’s never advisable to shoot vintage ammunition unless you really, really know what you’re doing. Cracked slides, exploded guns and a quick loss of one’s self esteem at the range are very probable results of a ‘let’s shoot it and see what happens’ approach.

Weighing several specimens of this ammunition netted a cartridge-weight spread of 185 to 187 grains. I did not take the time to search out a dupe and pull a bullet. However, this weight range for a loaded round is usually indicative of a 115 grain bullet. Further, the overwhelming majority of 9mm produced in Canada from mid-WWII to the present has been with 115 grain bullets.

I have no specs on the muzzle velocity of this ammunition. If you have reservations about firing it, the general rule is “DON"T.” I can tell you that i have fired plenty of it in Browning HP 9mm pistols, and a little bit in German Lugers and assorted other 9mms, without problem. The store I worked at, when this stuff initially came on the surplus market, sold tens of thousands of rounds of it without incident. I am NOT recommending you fire it, but rather simply reporting my own experiences with it in pistols.

Thank for the replies! I had no qualms shooting the ammo in my pistol. The batch he had was a small parcel of a larger lot, of which other friends had used in Glocks, Sigs, etc. It was given to me for plinking, but I wanted the specs. As I understand it, the ammo was made for Stens and HPs, the box equates to two Sten mags. If it’s safe in a 50-year old HP, it should be safe in modern pistols. I may have a reloader friend tear some down and measure it all out. Maybe ever chrono some for fun.

Thanks again, guys!