9 mm Bergmann-Bayard 6 shot clip for Montserrat Carbine

Anyone have one of these? It was used in any other weapon?

I didn’t realize that these are probably the same ones used in the spanish Bergmann-Bayard M. 1908 (1903).

I suspect that the drawing is a bit of artistic licence on behalf of the illustrator. All of the Peiper patent chargers I’ve seen have been marked ‘AEP’ showing that they were made by Peiper. Has anyone else seen otherwise?

Happy collecting, Peter

The “Montserrat” Carbine is a predecessor of the “Destroyer” 9mm Largo
Carbine, made in the 1930s.

The Montserrat follows Spanish M93 Carbine layout, with a “Carbine” rear sight, Ladder type and with Button Adjusting of Elevator slide; the forward band is similar to the M93 Bayonet band, and the bolt action is a modification of the Mauser type.

At the time of the manufacture of the Packet of ammo, (1914) the cartridge was still known as the “9mm Bergmann Bayard”" The 9mm Largo ( “Long”) name only came into use in the 1920s, to distinguish it from the 9mm Parabellum and the 9mm Corto (.380ACP).

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

It seems like the patent drawing (?) for the carbine, as shown on this thread, is depicting the use of a six-shot, C-96 Mauser Pistol-type Clip for loading this rifle, although certainly the use of the standard AEP Bergmann-Bayard clip would have been more practical, and is what, as already described, is shown in the picture of the 1914 box of ammunition.

For the sake of completeness: I see that the article refers to the 9mm “Camp Giro”, which was of course another name for the Largo / Bergmann Bayard.

With a barrel that length, I can’t help wondering whether the bullet would have started to slow down again before reaching the end!

Spain initially adopted the Bergmann 9x23 Automatic Pistol ( a “Mauser 96” look-alike, with a 6 round REMOVABLE magazine in front of the triggerguard, in about 1904. The Pistols were made by Anciens Etablisments Pieper, whose “Bayard” ( Chevalier de Bayard, a Knight on Horseback) was the trade-mark. Hence the “AEP” on the Clips, and the Bergmann-Bayard Pistol description and cartridge name.
The Clips, as with the Mauser, were for quick loading the magazine in the gun via clip guides in the top slide.

Other nations also adopted the B-B 9mm, including Denmark (1910).

The Count of Campo-Giro designed and had made a totally Spanish Auto Pistol, and by WW I, it too was adopted by the Spanish Gov’t.

The ammo was supplied by the Artillery Department of the Spanish Army,
as shown on the Label strap and seal.

Instead of continuing to name the ammo “Bergmann Bayard” or “Campo Giro”, the generic term “Largo” meaning Long was instituted for the 9x23mm cartridge on general issue. ( after WW I, early 20s).

Spain has continued making the 9mm Largo Cartridge to the present day; only in recent years have Spanish units adopted 9x19 Parabellum for a variety of SMGs.( Mostly the H&K types)…otherwise, up to the 1980s, all Issue Spanish Pistols and SMGs were in Largo Calibre.

Regards,
Doc AV