9 mm box

Hello all of you again.
One friend-partner has this 9 mm old box.
Can you help me with the date?
Thank you very much for your help.

Pedro

Excellent Box!!! I wish I had found it.

The box was packed in 1936, perhaps February if one guess at the month codes is correct.

Congratulations!!!

Lew

Thank you very much for your help Lew.

See you on september.

Pedro

Looking forward to it!

Lew

Pedro,
I was looking more closely at the headstamp and it appears that it may be “.Geco.” Can you confirm this. It would be the first box date I have for this version of this Geco hst.

Cheers,
Lew

Hello Lew.
Here you have.

Pedro

Great!!! Many thanks.

Lew

Nice box Pedro!
Last year in my country a collector sold one that looked alike.

Lew, here is a -in my opinion earlier box- as it has not the later coming stripe for oilproof on it.
And it bears no red casemouthseals, but a black p.a. and the Sinoxid signs.
Box has no date stamp inside, but on the outside the finnish stamp 1.37 (when it was taken into inventory)
The headstamp has on contrary to the above headstamp in Pedros box the 2 dots at 3 and 9 o´clock, and not before and after the caliber stamp.
See pic:

From, the same source (finnish army) I got the following 2 boxes of 7,65 Para -just for comparision-; one with the sign for oilproof, the other without, but the Content of booth has the oilproof laquer on casemouth and primer…
The Datecode (VN and TL) is in the pic

have fun
pp

PP,
Thanks!

The top 7.65mm Para box code looks like TL which would be1939 and VN would be 1941. It would be interesting to know where the dots are on these headstamps.
I have the box style below with the code NL which would be 1933, The cartridges have a single dot behind the Geco (Geco. 9m/m). It is the earlier two piece plaid box

These boxes would imply:

1933 - one dot behind Geco (Geco. 9m/m)
1936 - four dots (.Geco. .9m/m.)
1937 (or a bit earlier) dots at 9 & 3 o’clock (Geco . 9m/m .)

Perhaps this is the beginning of a pattern.

What are the headstamps on the two 7.65mm Para loads??

Cheers,
Lew

Here we have two differend Steyr boxes filled with the same round. Rounds with the sinoxid primer.

seems to fit in the above time Frame.

Rolf

\Rolf,
Are there two letter codes inside the end flaps or on the back?

Lew

Lew, I rechecked both boxes. No stamps, no marks .

Rolf

Rolf, Too bad! I have a Steyr box and it has no packing code either. I suspect they were special contracts rather then normal production and therefore the packing month was identified in the contract documentation and not on the box. This is probably the reason the blue Geco box that PP posted also lacks a packing date.

Gyrojet, this one confuses me. VC shold be 1941 from the data I have put together, but the ammo would indicate an X or Y year date. Perhaps the outside cover came from another box and got mixed up with a tray from a later box. Very interesting!

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, on the 7,65 Parabellum ammo from both boxes are no dots at all…

So, the variation of this dots happens only on 9mm Parabellum ammo.
Maybe thats only a mark, who made the cases??? (RWS. GECO, DWA or ??)

Peter

Lew,

Although we have no printed Information for a possible date of production, I would say the upper box is the older one of the two boxes, made 1930, latest 1932. In this box, there is this additional Information sheet.

This introduces the SINOXID primer as a new item with all its advantages. ( Maybe someone has the time to translate this )

Rolf

The text is marketing language without substantial new information. The headers say:

• totally new develoment
  • free of mercury fulminate
  • rust free [no potassium chlorate, athough the latter is not mentioned in the text]
  • safe against erosion [of the bore]
  • unlimited shelf-life
  • protected by patents in all advanced nations

Was it found in the same spot as that rotary dial telephone?

The Steyr box Rolf posted in post #11 above is probably from the early 1930s. I have a very similar box in 9mm Para with the identical plaid box, which is a two piece box rather than the other boxes posted on this thread which are one piece boxes with a tray inside.

The headstamp in this box has the dot behind the Geco (Geco. 9m/m) while Rolf’s Steyr headstamp has the dot after the caliber. I have never seen this headstamp format on 9mm Para.The Sinoxid primer on Rolf’s cartridge indicate it was made no earlier than 1930. The 9mmP box above has a date stamp indicating it was loaded in 1933.

%209mm%20hst-1933-G1

The basic label style on both of these boxes is consistent with two 6.35mm B two piece Geco boxes I have with load dates of 1921 and 1922.

An advanced collector tells me that the dot codes on the Geco headstamps show up on both RWS and Geco headstamps on 6.35mmB, 7.65mmB, 7.65mmP and 9mmK at a minimum. These are the only calibers he checked. He is talking about the dots associated with the manufacturer or with the caliber, not the dots in the 3 and 9 O’clock positions,

Has anyone seen a Geco or RWS 9mmP with the dot behind the caliber (Geco 9m/m. or RWS pm/m.)???

Cheers,
Lew