9 mm Brigant?

Another box from the deep dark cellar, a box without label (yet), but a stamp “Brigant 9mm Para”. It contains 5 strips with 8 cartridges each. Headstamp: 50 “flower” * 4 Magnetic bullet, totall weight 170,3 grain.

Update, found the other threat about Brigant, so here is a box.

The Brigant trademark was used by Frankonia at Würzburg, Germany. Cartridges are of Czechoslovak origin from the time before 1952, when Soviet calibers were adopted.

There are a number of Czech made 9mm and 7.62 x 25 with the flower also a Male and Female symbol an X and maybe others. Made for ??? These showed up in the strip clips and loose in the 60s/70’s in US.

Id add that they came in brass as well as steel cases with GMCS and CNCS FMJ bullets. usually packed 8 rounds toa strip clip. Beleieve th eclips werew for czech CZ SMGs.

John G. - there is also an “O” headstamp on these symbol-coded Czech cartridges.

You are correct in your assumption about the clips. They are a copy of the charger clips for the M11/12 Steyr-Hahn Pistol, except that the two projections, one of each side, at the two ends of the clip are shorter than those on the Steyr clips. The clips are found at least in a nickel finish and also a parkerized finish. They bear the same coded markings, normally, as the headstamps, although I seem to recall you see some of the later-made clips with “bxn” markings. I stupidly rid myself of my auto pistol charger collection, a decision I have regretted for years, so am not positive about the use of either “aym” or “bxn” on the clips. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I welcome such a correction, by the way.

The Brigant marking is interesting. I have know about the marking for years, but this is the first picture of a box so-marked that I have seen. When I visited the Waffen Frankonia Store (later changed to Frankonia Jagd) in Würzburg in 1972, they had just received a large load of 7.62 x 25 mm Tokarev ammunition, and on the floor behind a counter, they had a lot of boxes of the ammo in a bigger box, all broken open during shipment. I was allowed to look thru them, as I had a business card from our store, a picture of part of my cartridge collection, a friend with me that spoke fluent German, and a very nice, sympathetic store department manager. It was the first of the coded-headstamp Czech Tokarevs I had ever seen. Of course later, huge quantities of 7.62 and 9 mm were imported into the USA. None of the Tokarev boxes had the “Brigant” name stamped on them.

John Moss

Hi John G,
I have a lot of different cartridges in my collection, with flower, triangular, male, female, *, -, and combinations of them, brass or steel cases en diffenent yearcodes. But this “Brigant” is the first box with a name or label I’ve ever seen.
I have another box, also with stripperclips, and steel cases, but there is nothing on the box except handwritten notes by the former owner ( I think he did so).
John Moss, I will check the clips for markings.

Grtz
Jaco

Jaco - I don’t have any plain Czech boxes for this ammo, but many variations of labeled ones.

I do have a green box of typical Czech construction, but it is stamped on the top (or perhaps printed, although the line of markings is parallel to the box edges, making it look like a hand-stamping job) in red simply " 9 m/m 23/25" which I assume refers to the two different versions of the Czech Submachine guns of the period. The cartridges in it were headstamped ZV 56.

Just for the record, here is the identification of which factory made the ammo with which symbol, which applies likely to other calibers, such as 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, 7.9 Mauser, etc.

Zbrojovka Vlasim, národní podník: Circle, Diamond, triangle, bxn
Povázské Strojárne, národní podník, Povázská Bystrica: Four-dot cross,male figure, X, aym.

Edited to change an erroneous reversal of the identification of “bxn” and “aym.”

Regarding symbols: Reference, “the History of Small Arms Cartridge Manufacture in Czechoslovakia, Part III: Headstamps of Czechoslovakian Military Cartridges for Small Arms since 1918,” undated, by Vladislav Badalik, translated to English by Prof. Jiri Vojta.

John Moss

John, would it be possible. aym and bxn got mixed up?
Hans

Hans - they most certainly did, and it was my inattention to detail that did it, not any fault what-so-ever to either Mr. Badalik, or to my dear friend (R.I.P.) Professor Jiri Vojta.

I will edit my entry so as to avoid others confusion in the future. Thank you for the catch. I would like to claim it was just a typo error, because I am well familiar with which is which. Sometimes I should try harder to engage my brain and not worry about the speed of my typing! Sorry to all about that.

John Moss