9 mm Jugular Jacketed Load by Shooters Service (1962)

Does anyone familiar with this cartridge? I thought this would be useful because maybe someone has one of this rounds listed as “unknown” in his collection. This company was one of the earliest suppliers of expanding 9 mm ammo and was also known for their Buck-O multiball loads in .38 Spl. and .357 Mag.

While the quality of my 9 mm collection does not reflect it, I have collected that caliber for almost 50 years now, and also sold ammunition for 36 years from a very well-stocked gun shop.
I have never seen a bullet of this exact profile in my life! Nor have I ever seen this ad or even heard of the company (of course, being on the West Coast, if this firm was mostly a local dealer - that is, did not do much in nation-wide sales, that would not be so surprising even if well know in the N.Y. region). Thanks for posting. Very interesting. It will be fun to see if anyone has one of these in their collection, or even knew about them.

Are you listening, Lew?

I’m with John! I have never seen this round and I don’t have this company in my database as a loader of 9mm Para ammo.

If someone has a package of these rounds or even one of the cartridges, I sure would appreciate a photo of the package/box and info on the round and the headstamp.

Is it possible that they also operated under another name later than 1962?

I do have a small accumulation of 9mm Para bullets sold for reloading, and have one that is similar to this, but not exactly this bullet-unfortunately, I have the manufacturer listed as unknown,

Thanks Fede!

Cheers,
Lew

The Jugular Jacketed bullet was a design of Jim Harvey of Lakeville Arms, CT in the 1950s. Harvey also marketed a wildcat 22 Hornet called the 22 Kay Chuk and designed and sold the Harvey Prot-X-Bore bullets. He was associated with handgun shooters such as Elmer Kieth, Lee Jurras, and J.D. Jones.

Shooter’s Service Inc was a small business catering to handgun shooters, especially hunters. That was in the days before it became cool to hunt with a handgun. I was part of that crowd for a while, living in Alaska.

Details are getting kind of foggy now. All of my stuff now belongs to my son who still lives in Alaska. About the only thing I left is a box of Harvey’s Kay Chuk cartridges.

Ray

John, Lew and Ray, thank for your comments and for taking the time to look for these rounds in your collections. Your opinions are most valuable to me.

The earliest reference I have for Shooters Service, Inc. is March 1961 with the Standfordville, NY adress and then June 1961 with the Clinton Corners, NY adress. Sometime in late 1963 or early 1964 the company name changed to Shooters Service & Dewey, Inc. (same adress). As Ray says, this company was licensed to manufacture both the famous Prot-X-Bore and Jugular Jacketed bullets designed by Jim Harvey. This is an advertisement dated June 1961:

Gunmags of the time used to carry advertising for these. I think they were also called Shooters Service & Dewey (SS&D), but that may have been some other organization. One of the older Handloaders Digests had an article about Harvey and his bullets.

I thought the bullet in that 9mm load looked like a .38spl projectile and based on the ad in Fede’s post, I would say that’s what they did. Run through a sizing die maybe, who knows? I’m guessing that the feeding wasn’t quite as smooth as ball, at least for some pistols.

Here’s a link to a digitized version of the “book of pistols & rifles 5th edition” from 1959 where they also mention a .45acp loaded by Shooters Service with the jacketed jugular loads:
http://cheaperthandirtretailstores.net/Library/BookPage.aspx?bid=FW0005192&sid=857&pid=752

Dennis, the 9 mm JJ bullet was designed by Mace Williams of Shooters Service and weighed 127 grains. You will be surely interested in this nice ad of the “Triple Jepardy” Buck-O loads. They used a Prot-X-bore wadcutter ahead of two 00 Buck:

This is the .45 Auto load mentioned in “The Book of Pistols and Rifles” 5th edition:

Is this the same company that sold Dewey Cleaning rods (I think I am remembering the name correctly)? They were probably actually made by Parker Hale, as they closely resemble those British rods. I still have a pair of .22 extra long rods that allowed me to clean the barrels of even my 26" barrel .222 Ruger No. 1, when I had it, without flexing the rod to pass the handle over the comb of the stock. I could clean from the chamber end and the handle of the rod was still behind the buttplate. I used it on my 40XB-BR LV Class .222 as well, when I was bench rest shooting. I still use them with my .223 Sako Vixen Varmint, converted to a CF position target rifle.

Fede, I think you mean the gunwriter Mason Williams. If I remember correctly, he was the owner/operator of Shooters Service, Inc.

Daniel

You’re right. Some of it is coming back to me. Williams was a big believer in the small handgun cartridges for hunting. He developed hot loads for the 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim while others were at the other end developing hot loads for the 45 Colt (Casull), and 44 Special (Keith). Lee Jurras was kinda in-between with loads for the 357 and 9mm calibers.

My son still has my two 45 Colt revolvers (S&W and Ruger) that I used for hot loads exceeding the power of the 44 Magnum. I wrote an article about it in HANDLOADER magazine (issue #48, 1974). Wow! That was almost 40 years ago.

Ray

Daniel, yes, Mason “Mace” Williams was the owner of Shooters Service and also friend of Jim Harvey, who licensed his bullets designs to improve distribution.

Here’s a scan of an article about Shooters Service from the Feb 1962 issue of Guns magazine: