9 mm Makaro made in France

In 1987, a friend, gunsmith in the police asked me if I had 15 cartridges to test a Makarov pistol used in a criminal case. My answer was no, the Wall was not yet fallen and Makarov cartridges still rare in France.
Then, he began the manufacture of cartridges. He has shortcut and expanded 9 Parabellum SFM (boxer primer). He expanded 9mm Parabellum bullets to 9.32 mm. He charged all with 0.28 g of french powder BA9.

This is what I show you below (26 years later, I found a few yesterday… )

chassepot

Chassepot - I suspect that the bullets shown, if not original 9.2 m/m Makarov bullets, and it would make no sense it they were, are not 9 mm Para bullets expanded, but rather 9 mm Court (.380 Auto) bullets. The ogive appears correct for the typical 9 mmm Court bullet, but not like any 9 mm Para bullet
with which I am familiar.

These may provide at least the bais of an answer for a round that I have in my collection. It is a 9 mm Para case made on contract or French police by Hirtenberger, of Austria. The headstamp is “HP HP-2-80 9” in the same basic format as your cartridges’ headstamps. However, the bullet is a somewhat oversized SN bullet of about the correct ogive, oal, and weight of a Makarov bullet. It appears to have been made from an early Belgian SN bullet of the type where almost all of that part of the projectile above the case mouth is lead, with only a small width of brass showing above the case mouth. Only the early FN SN bullet would fit the description, and may be a 9 mm Court bullet “bumped up” to Makarov size. The case is very well reformto a sraight -sided case and the primer cup is nickel, like the ones in your picture. I believe it was found in France, and has remained somewhat of an enigma for the many years I have had it.

If possible, I would like to purchase one of yours to go with it in my collection, and for purposes of photographing them together for the book I am trying to write. I would also like your permission to use the information you have posted here about your rounds, as I believe now that the purpose behind the manufacture of my round may have been similar.

John,

The bullet weight is 6,17 g (95 gn). You’re right, it is probably a 9 mm Browning short bullet expanded.

No problem to publish this information and to exchange a specimen. I can give one to an American collector at the ECRA meeting of september.

chassepot