9 mm Parabellum without head stamp

I found this 9 parabellum with US and GB WWII 9 Parabellum. It contains the same powder type that a BîE 9 mm Parabellum, the bullet and the case look like the same.

Is this a production error or a special purpose cartridge ?

cheers

chassepot

Certainly British, but my guess is that it is just one that slipped through.

Regards
Tonye

I have the same identical cartridge which I have catalogued as ‘unknown experimental’ but I have no idea where that information came from. My specimen is unusual in that the casemouth is slightly crushed as if it has been chambered in an API-type weapon but without having fired. The primer is unmarked. Strange…

Very interesting. I have difficulty accepting that it is a production mistake. The headstamp is part of the case head forming process in the draw sets I have and have seen. For it to be a mistake in production then they would have to be using a headstamp that had worn completely blank, which is unlikely I believe.

Having said that, I found an identical looking unheadstamped round in a sealed box of H^N headstamped ammunition.

Perhaps they used blank bunters when setting up lines so the trial cases which had a significant chance of not being up to standard, would be easily identifiable, but some found their way into the load lines for standard ammunition.

Has a similar thing been found in other British WWII calibers?

Just a guess on my part, and there are of course other possibilities. Does anyone who is more familiar with British WWII 9mm case production processes have an explaination? I don’t have, nor recall seeing a British WWII case draw set.

Cheers,
Lew

[quote=“Lew”] Perhaps they used blank bunters when setting up lines so the trial cases which had a significant chance of not being up to standard, would be easily identifiable, but some found their way into the load lines for standard ammunition.

Has a similar thing been found in other British WWII calibers? [/quote]

Lew, perhaps this unusual .303" ball round with its slightly off-centre primer pocket adds weight to your theory…