9 Parabellum MABLAN (try to add images)

Excuse me everyone! I’m testing to learn how to add pictures in the posts. I hope it works out!

Yes! I did it! Excuse me but do not understand English well and I have to use a translator, this makes everything more difficult.

I hope you like the images from now I will send to this wonderful forum.

Greetings

Gràcies

ooh! sksvlad you speak catalanish?

Thank you very much for your help.

David

Nice Mablans. I have only seen 2 or 3 variations before.

Hi jonnyc,
I’m afraid I know 18 different variants, unfortunately in my collection only have the photo.

snif, snif… :-(

Davrib, I am not so sure the last cartridge in your photo is a Mablan:

• The diameter of the flat tip is too large.

• The bullet is too deep into the case. The regular Mablan bullet is about 17.9 mm long and is seated about 8.2 mm deep into the case. Your bullet seems seated 2 mm farther into the case… and the 9 x 19 case has a cylindrical portion of 6 mm from the mouth. Below that, the case thickness increases from 0.28 mm (6 mm from the mouth) to 0.95 mm (near the bottom).

Thus, I think a long bullet such as the Mablan cannot be loaded so deep into the case. In fact, one of the issues leading to the demise of the Mablan project was that the bullets, having been forced into the inner conical portion of the case, were “spitted out” during the storage tests.

Anyway, I may be proved wrong, of course.

Nice to hear you have seen 18 variations of the Mablan bullet. I have only 10, including some I have never seen loaded into a cartridge.

In the municion.org forum there’s a picture of a fake Mablan bullet loaded into a 9 mm Largo cartridge. Well, maybe it isn’t so, perhaps it’s just a reloaded cartridge and the maker didn’t think about faking a Mablan.

These are the Mablan cartridges loaded in quantity at the Fábrica Nacional de Palencia with Toledo cases. The bullets are plated lead and were lathe-turned in Palencia according to my sources, but I’m not sure if they lathe-turned the whole bullet or the cannelures only.

The cadmium-plated bulleted ones were from a lot of one million loaded for the National Police, who refused to honor the contract.

Both types (cadmium and brass plated) finally found their way in the U.S. surplus market, where some people guessed it was subsonic ammunition. Well, that’s not true, although the 149+ grain bullet may be misleading some into thinking otherwise.

And here’s the drawing of the definitive Mablan bullet, taken from the patent documents:

What is the significance of the word “Mablan” in reference to these bullets? Jack

It’s an acronym from the inventor’s names: José María MArrón BLANco. He was the head of the Armament department at the spanish National Police at the time.

The Mablan patent is an incredible collection of half-witted faked technobabble and it should be filed under “humor”.

Here’s an example: “It must be considered also as antecedents of this invention the cartridges of 7,63-51 and 6,62-63, and also the denominators 12,7-99 and 12,7-76”(sic, translated by myself).

The patent claims that the Mablan cartridge delivers higher muzzle velocities and lower chamber pressures than the rest (with a 149 grain bullet!).

It also claims it to have very high stopping power. Well, the photo I am enclosing, taken from the official Mablan video, shows a moderate expansion of the bullet tip… only the tip; the rest of the bullet doesn’t seem to expand to anything larger than 9 mm.

The bullet was fired into plasticine, a very good tissue simulant, as anybody knows.

Cheers,

Schneider.

Thank you very much for your clarifications, schneider. Again, a 10 for you.

:-)

Schneider: Thanks for the identification and the interesting background information. Jack

More Spanish 9 Parabellum…

Davrib, I think you should move these to a new thread, so anyone can search for them in the future.

Cheers,

Schneider.

The two main drawbacks leading to the demise of the Mablan project were:

1. The popping out of the bullet from the cartridge in storage, due to the lenght of the bullet, which to be seated needed to be forced into the conical portion of the case.

2. The deposits of lead in the forcing cone of the guns, just in the place where the barrel
    rifling begins.

Many experiments were conducted in order to address this second problem. I know of the
following, in chronological order:

• Augmenting the proportion of Sb in the Pb-Sb bare lead bullet, to make it harder.

• Cadmium plating of the bullet.

• Brass plating of the bullet.

• Widening of the upper cannelure, so it could lodge the lead shavings scraped away at the forcing cone.

• Black teflon coating of the bullet.

Finally, the bore leading problem was insolvable. I believe this is due to the fact that the
shape transition between the truncated cone and the cylindrical part was too sharp, much more so than that of a normal roundnose lead bullet. This happened in spite of the Mablan patent stating the contrary.

The bullet with a wider upper cannelure and a consecuently narrower lower cannelure was named “MABLAN II” at the Fábrica Nacional de Toledo, where the experiments were made.

I have samples of these Mablan II bullets, but haven’t ever seen a cartridge, although FNT
records show that some were loaded. The loaded cartridges, if they exist, would be instantly recognizable because of the wider upper cannelure.

I have enclosed a picture of the zone where the lead deposits occurred, in the forcing cone
between the chamber and the rifled part of the barrel. The gun is a Star model 28-PK 9 mm pistol, and the picture has been taken from the Mablan promotional video (although, of course, the video ignored the leading thing).

I have enclosed also a photo of the two bullets side-by-side, and a drawing I have made from the drawing shown on Mablan’s patent, to show the differences between Mablan-I and Mablan-II bullets.

Cheers,

Schneider.