9 x 19mm DAG & Geco questions

I picked up these two (new for me) 9x19mm rounds at SLICS and would appreciate any additional information.

1.) HS = " 9x19SX DAG95A0701 ", bullet attracts a magnet, below is a picture of the box with cartridges as it sat on the table at SLICS

2.) Geco, with some type of limited range bullet, blue tip. Below is a picture of the HS; from the table at SLICS are photos of the copied box label, the cartridge in question and two views of a fired bullet.

Thanks,

Brian

9mm Facebook make up photo

hello
for the geco with blue tipped bullet now i can identifiate these
in my listing i had a geco loading with this bullet

The DAG cartridges are for police or other official, non-commercial use.

SX marks these as having SINTOX lead-free primers (opposed to conventional SINOXID). Exact meaning of SX-2 is unknown to me, probably an improved mixture.

Sn (symbol for chemical element tin) as well as “verzinnt” (tinned) refers to the GMCS jackets being tinned. This is to make up for the lack of lead in the primer with regard to fouling. The tinned bullets for a long time were trademarks of SX ammunition. Only recently DAG/Geco returned to untinned jackets. Jackets made from steel are typical for German FMJ ammunition.

The lot was produced in January 1995 (95A), “07” is used for SINTOX 9 mm, and “01” shows it to be the first lot.

Edit: “Weichkern” (literally soft core) simply is the official German equivalent for ball. It does not have an especially soft core, just as military “ball” bullets are not spherical.

As far as I know, the SX stands not only for Sintox primers but also for encapsulated lead core of the bullet.
If a standard bullet -with lead exposed at the bottom- is fired, the hot gases of the combusting powder will melt a little bit of the exposed lead. This gaseous lead will act as a lubricant between bullet jacket and bore. When you encapsulate the lead core, there will be less lubricant and so rather exessive wear of the barrel. The layer of tin (Si) on the bullet jacket will act as a lubricant.
Please correct me if I’m wrong!

Peelen - I think that Weichkern can perhaps be better interpreted into English as “Lead Core,” as opposed to Eisenkern (iron core). I know in good German it means Soft Core, but I think it is a term used to diffentiate between a lead core and a iron/steel core. I could be wrong.

John, I am afraid there is factual evidence against your interpretation.
The German clone of the .50 calibre ball M33 (non-hardened steel-core) also qualified as “Weichkern” (12,7 x 99 DM11).

For a long time there was only “Hartkern” (AP) as alternative to Weichkern for plain bullets. With the adoption of a clone of the 5.56 mm SS109 with its tandem core the designation “Doppelkern” was added.

The GECO with the blue tip is a short range bullet named “Aeroflap”.

Peelen - lookz like the old designation of iron corps is not used anymore. Guess I have to get my tiny knowledge of German and bring it past 1945 terminology.

I hadn’t thought of mild iron or steel cores, as opposed to the hardened steel cores. Also, my parameters are limited to pistol ammunition, basically, and I did not state that. To me, the use of “Weichkern” on a box label is still is pretty good indication of a lead core in that ammo which I collect and study, although I understand now that it is not foolproof. But then, see my reference regarding that subject on the April’s Fool Thread from Mr. Mekata. :-)

Sorry for the misexplanation.

Brian, here is a drawing of the Sintox 8 g bullet:

Regards,

Fede

Thanks to all for the information provided on these two cartridges.

Brian